New account, looking to import from lastpass but getting import failed from desktop app

Options
cav
cav
Community Member

Potential new user, looking to migrate from LastPass but getting a failure on the desktop app. "Import failed. We cannot perform an import at this time due to changes beyond our control". I exported a csv manually and imported online but it only detects 19 passwords and says I have 40 in the vault now (I have over 200), and of the 19 several are duplicates. Is there any way I can get passwords moved over? Would love to sign up and leave LastPass due to all the security issues they have been experiencing, and look to keep experiencing.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.15 (80915001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.1
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:lastpass

Comments

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @cav.

FWIW, I was able to import quickly and easily, but 1P errored out importing for a family member.

I'd suggest contacting support via their contact us page, you can follow up via email when they respond.

If it says there were errors, it'll probably generate a diagnostic file, which you should email to support. If it didn't, dunno, work w support.

This import is new, there are problems in some situations, the more info they get about the failures the better, I'd think.

• cav
    cav
    Community Member
    Options

I've opened a case. Hopefully I can make some progress. Even tried on Windows but I get the same error message.

• @cav

Looks like you've started talking with my colleagues. Please continue that conversation. 🙂

ref: JMC-58364-629

• pm7
    pm7
    Community Member
    Options

Same error message. Sent diagnostics files to support via email. Then the next day followed up via support contact form on website. No response, extremely disappointing. Does not bode well for so many of is ready to leave LastPass due to their breach. If no response in another day will move on to Dashlane.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hang in there @pm7. I know the 1Password folks are making good progress here.

• pm7
    pm7
    Community Member
    Options

I certainly hope so!! 😃

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Support replied to my email with the diagnostics file, saying they're working on it, but suggesting I use the web-based csv import instead. Which doesn't handle attachments. Too bad.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@pm7 / @lesster

From the 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000042) nightly release's native import:

Unicode:

and attachments:

They are still working out how to translate the values from the LastPass API to better map them into 1Password categories and fields.

You'd be surprised at how challenging the LastPass data set is, either via CSV export, or using the API.

The 1Password folks are hard at work getting this importer to present the best possible conversion.

• cav
    cav
    Community Member
    Options

Update... seems like the export from LastPass isn't very clean as @MrC has mentioned with screenshots. I followed the instructions form support, and initially was getting an error. I ran my export into VSCode and removed trailing spaces...pasted that into the web import and viola! Over 300 secrets imported!
    I think this is more of the export coming from LastPass having some strange characters or spaces. With breaches happening at LastPass, happy to come over to 1Password. Going to finish checking most imported secrets this weekend and then convert my trail into a full account.
    Thanks all!

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

This is all positive news, thanks folks, and thanks to 1P for banging on this.

@cav...

1. You're talking about processing the csv expert through VSCode, yes?

2. Can you describe the replacements you did more exactly, like the find and replace regexes?

3. When you use the word "secrets", are you referring only to secrets in a dev environment context, or were you also able to import normal passwords, secure notes, etc with this technique?

Thanks all.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@cav / @lesster

I'm going to mention an alternative to the work-in-progress native LastPass importer, or the 1Password.com CSV importer if you are still having trouble. I've generally remained on the sidelines regarding this, since I know the 1Password crew is working hard at bringing a better import experience for LastPass.

My converter suite has a lastpass CSV converter which should work well with a raw LastPass CSV export. If you are having trouble, you're welcome to try it. Since LastPass' CSV export does not include attachments, you'll have to handle those manually (this is where 1Password's native importer will be a huge win, and once they feel it is ready, I will denote that my lastpass converter should be used only as a last resort).

The converter has been well tested with 1Password CSV exports for years.

• pm7
    pm7
    Community Member
    Options

Coming from a cybersecurity perspective csv with my thousand passwords in clear text makes me nauseous, lol. I realize sometimes you got to do what you Gotta do, and ensure the file is properly expunged. Hope the 1Password team can get us a better solution asap.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@pm7 - I get it. I really do.

It's an unfortunate reality that users are going to (routinely) switch password managers, and this almost always entails plaintext export / conversion / import processes. Given this, my guiding principal has always been get it done as quickly as possible to reduce the risk exposure and duration.

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options
    • Before you start, learn how to securely delete that export file.

• On Windows there's SDelete. You have to download it, but it's official and I trust it, personally.
    • Get it done quickly, as @MrC said.

This discussion has been closed.