Can 1Password 8 now open pif files for import?

Options
dreh0652
dreh0652
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Just what the subject asks. I saw the thread from May of 2022 but unsure if that has now been implemented.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open pif in 1Password 8

Comments

• Hello @dreh0652! 👋

The 1Password 8 for Mac app supports importing from either CSV or 1PUX (the successor to 1PIF). Can you tell me a little more about why you're seeking to import a 1PIF file? Are you moving items to 1Password from another password manager?

Once I hear back from you I'll be able to better advise on the best path forward. 🙂

-Dave

• dreh0652
    dreh0652
    Community Member
    Options

I continue to use 1Password 7 because IMO 8 is still a hot mess. There's so many features that were or worked in 7 that either haven't been implemented (as of May 2022, for instance, there's a thread about 8 not being able to import) that I won't use 8. So, when I export from 7 it exports as a pif. But a user I support has 8. So, I'm trying to figure out how to send her something from 1Password 7 she can use.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@dreh0652

Have you tried the latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac? I'd be happy to pass along any specific feedback that you have to the team. 🙂

So, I'm trying to figure out how to send her something from 1Password 7 she can use.

To make sure that I understand correctly: you're sending items to another user? Are they part of the same 1Password Families/Teams/Business membership as you? If they are then you can move the items to a shared vault that you both have access to:

If they're not part of the same membership as you then you can still share items by inviting them as a guest:

Or you can share individual items with folks outside of your membership by using a secure share link: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

-Dave

• dreh0652
    dreh0652
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, sending items to another user who is part of my team. Can I use https://support.1password.com/share-items/ to share a link from 1Password 7? Or, do I have to do that from 1Password.com?

I used 1Password 8 when it first came out. As already noted, there were just too many things I could do with 7 I couldn’t do with 8, so I switched back to 7. No, I haven’t tried a recent 8. What is the current state of 8 as far as “Can do this in 7 but not in 8”? I don’t want to reach the same level of frustration again. I know 7. It works well. I don’t want to be a guinea pig (which is how I felt before about 8). It was aggravating enough that after I switched back to 7 I was happy again.

• @dreh0652

You can indeed share a secure link from 1Password 7 for Mac:

I personally have only been using 1Password 8 on both my work and personal devices for over a year and I can share my personal satisfaction with using the app. These days, I only open 1Password 7 when I'm answering a user's question and need to double-check how things worked in the old version or need to grab a screenshot (like the screenshot that I posted above). Trying 1Password 8 again isn't a one way door, if you do decide to give it a try in the future then let me know what you think. 🙂

-Dave

• dreh0652
    dreh0652
    Community Member
    Options

OK. What is the difference in the screenshot between Share and Copy Private Link? They both seem to create a url link to send out?

• @dreh0652

Good question!

Copy Private Link generates an address that another user, who already has access to the vault where the item resides, can use to open the item. If an item is in your Private vault then someone else can't use a private link to access that item because only you can access your Private vault.

Share generates a copy of the item, while preserving end-to-end encryption, that another person who doesn't have access to the item's vault (or who doesn't use 1Password at all) can use to view and save the item.

-Dave

• dreh0652
    dreh0652
    Community Member
    Options

ahhhh. Thank you, Dave.

• @dreh0652

I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.