New user, few questions

Options

First of all thanks for including the password history button. I would not have kept this installed without it as setting up logins for different sites can be trial and error. I do have a few questions:

1. Will version 4 have the ability to open a login in a new tab instead of a new window using Firefox?
  2. I bought the iOS version as well for my ipad and dropbox sync is working fine for me but is there a way to import bookmarks into your browser?
  3. Is there a chance future versions of the iOS client will include a browser extension for Safari?

All in all I am liking the tool and have been looking at it for some time. I feel much better knowing I have stronger passwords for my sites. The biggest difficulty seems to be around sites that pop up a login box, any tips for those? Is it pretty much just using the fill in command?

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi @piecz,

1. Not sure what you mean, it's the browser that controls how links are opened. First, you can configure the 1Password extension to open in a new tab instead of a new window:

Open in a new tab

You should make sure that Firefox is configured to always open in a new tab.

Open in a new tab

2. Yes, if you're using Firefox, you can import it via the extension. Please open the 1Password for Mac app, unlock and go to the File Menu > Import and select Firefox on the list, read the instructions given.

3. It all depends on Apple. Apple does not allow any possible integrations between any apps including its Mobile Safari. We want to support Mobile Safari, we just can't. This is done to prevent malware infections by sandboxing each app on the iOS device, so that they can't escape their own sandbox.

As for the pop-up boxes, 1Password should be able to handle those if they're HTML standard type. Once you click on it to open it, just press the Command + \ button and it should fill in like any other sites.

Hope this helps.

• piecz
    piecz
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options
    1. It does! My default in image 1 was open in new window and I did not know I had to click it and now they open in tabs.
    2. I mean can I, in the iOS version, import my bookmarks into your tool from mobile Safari? The only integration with the web seems to come from your app and the embedded browser and I was hoping I could move all my bookmarks into it not just ones where I have a secure login. I see no point in using two browsers and yours seems up to par with mobile Safari.
    3. Got it!
  • Hi,

For the same reason we can't integrate with Mobile Safari, we also can't read your bookmarks in Mobile Safari, so it's not possible to import it.

You can sync your bookmarks with iCloud to Safari on your Mac and import it that way into the main 1Password app. The Safari bookmark import is a bit difficult to process because it's protected by OS X but if you go to the same area in 1Password via File Menu > Import > Safari, it'll explain how to do this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also note that Login items do not require a username and password. You can store them as just a URL if you want to use them as bookmarks. :)

• piecz
    piecz
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

I did notice that thanks Khad. I have to tell you, being a lurker for awhile, that the support team and their responsiveness on this forum are one of the reasons I bought for iOS and OSX. So far I am loving the tool and cannot wait to see what you bring with the new version for OSX.

• HI @piecz,

On behalf of Khad, you're welcome. We appreciate your feedback on our support team, we always believed that customer support is an important factor for any app, so it's great to hear the same from our customers.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.