Optionally display tags in search results

Options
olivierlacan
olivierlacan
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

I see a few closed conversations about this topic without clear answers on the feasibility or likelihood of implementation by the 1Password team.

Using 1Password for personal and professional reasons, it's extremely frequent for me to search for term that might match multiple entries and use the tag as a way to further filter down results.

Example entry:

• name: Thing
  • tags: production, API

Other entry:

• name: Thing
  • tags: staging, API

Search query: thing production

I expect to only see the Example entry in the results. That is indeed what happens (in the macOS app only, not on the web) but it's invisible to me as a user.

This multi-field matching should be contextualized to 1Password users by displaying at the very least any tag that matched from the search query: in this case production.

Considerations:

• this could be an opt-in feature, to avoid surprising users who never expected to see tags in results
  • noise from tags in results is reduced because only matching tags are displayed
  • it seems reasonable to me to offer users a choice of matching granularity in particular given the inconsistency in results between the macOS and web apps, for example by allowing folks to match:
    • titles only
    • titles & descriptions
    • titles & tags
    • titles & tags & descriptions

Admittedly this adds complexity, but the titles only and titles & tags options already exist in 1Password today, but as undocumented features in some platforms but not others.

PS: it looks like there used to be an option to Search All Fields or Search Major Fields on prior versions of 1Password but that doesn't seem to be available in the 1Password 8 for macOS.

1Password Version: macOS 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_ Safari 16.3

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @olivierlacan! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! Do I understand correctly that you'd like to see a matching tag appear like this in the search results (using your example):

(Excuse the very rough mockup.)

What would you expect to see when clicking on the tag from the search results? A list of all items tagged with that tag? Could you get the same functionality by just clicking on the tag in the sidebar?

I'd like to understand your suggestion a little better so that I can file a feature request with the product team on your behalf. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.