Avast anti virus warning

Options

My sister recently installed Avast free anti virus software on her Macbook Air (OS X). When she tried to use her 1Password browser plugin she received a message that said: "Infection detected! File: /Library/Internet Plug-ins/Mozillaplugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VerifiedDownloadPlugin. Process: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Executables/1PasswordThumbs.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordThumbs".

Trying to figure out if this is a false alarm. I realize this may be a question for Avast, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any insight. Thanks.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Hey rmw621

I will speculate what it is, however I will let the team confirm for sure.

Its a false positive, in that its the 1Password app trying to connect to recently created login and download the preview for that site. Avast thinks its a rogue app trying to connect etc.

As I said wait for confirmation from the team.

• rmw621
    rmw621
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much! I appreciate that. I'll look forward to the confirmation.

• Hi @rmw621,

I'm not familiar with what /Library/Internet Plug-ins/Mozillaplugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VerifiedDownloadPlugin is, we don't use that file.

However, it doesn't seem to be a malware, you can look at this blog post saying that it's a part of the 10.7.4.

The process, /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Executables/1PasswordThumbs.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordThumbs is the 1Password Thumbnail Generator, it's used to build the thumbnails of your Login items for the Login Previews feature, this is not a malware and is likely to be a false positive.

Did it say which malware it suspected it to be?

This discussion has been closed.