How can the Chrome extension sit so far behind the desktop client?

Options

Hello

I am a new user. I chose 1P above other password managers for the extra security the 1P secret key adds against hacks, a feature that only 1P offers.

I used a folder structure with my previous password manager. During my trial period I got explained that the lack of support for folders in 1P wasn't a limitation as you could do everything and much more with tags. I tested and this was absolutely right. I then organized all my entries with tags and nested tags and could appreciate the advantages they have against a more static structure based on folders.

Fast forward 1 month and I was ready to use 1P on the Windows PC at work. I tried installing the 1P desktop app but this wasn't allowed by internal policies. Ok, I will then use the 1P Chrome browser extension, not big deal I thought.

I am very surprised to find that the support for tags on the 1P browser extensions is extremely limited, and I cannot understand this. If tags are the main way to organize your content in 1P, how it isn't possible to see the list of tags from the Chrome browser extension (and I guess all the other browser extensions too)?

I have over 800 entries in my vault and more than 150 tags already created. How are you suppose to find your content with ease when using the Chrome extension if you don't have access to your list of tags? Memorizing all your tags to locate entries by using the search field is not practical at all, specially when searching for my tag "work" gives me results including every single entry containing the word "work" on it, making the search results so polluted that it is almost pointless.

This is a big issue for surely hundreds of users that cannot install the desktop client.

Is tag support going to be added to the Chrome extension and what is the road map for this?

Is there any resonnable way to deal with this if reasonable support for tags isn't coming to the extension?

Appreciate your input about this. Thank you. To be honest I feel atm very frustrated with this issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @thorz, thanks for reaching out about this. I'm sorry that the 1Password extension does not support Tags at the moment. We do have a feature request to bring Tags to the extension, and I've added your post to that request in support of it. While we can't make any promises on when or if this feature will be added, we will advocate for it on your behalf. We do hope that there will be support for Tags in the future.

For now, I recommend creating separate vaults to organize your logins. For example, you can create a separate Work vault for all work-related logins. If you do that, you can select to view all logins from that specific vault via the extension. You can also select to get suggestions from that specific vault in the extension.

Alternatively, if you want to continue creating and managing Tags, you can do so from your account at 1Password.com. Here is a guide on how to do that.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I do hope that you can try the workarounds above until there is a better solution available. Let us know if you have any questions.

ref: p-32300612

• Thorz
    Thorz
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P
    Thank you very much for posting your workarounds.

Creating additional vaults for circumventing the limitation with tags on the browser extensions is not really practical when you have many tags expanding through hundreds of topics. It's definitely a good idea to create an additional vault to have work entries separated from personal ones, thanks, but it doesn't solve the situation with the other many tags.

The lack of tag auto-completion when creating a new entry from the Chrome extension is another part of the problem that really hurts the user experience. I have found myself many times using wrong tag names when creating new entries on the extension because of the lack of auto-completion. I have to then double-check and correct the tags on these new entries on the full desktop app at a later point. If I forget to do this, the organizational system becomes a mess.

I understand that accessing 1password.com to manage and fix the tags is possible, but having to remember to log on to the 1Password web interface after you have added a new entry on the browser extension is extremely cumbersome.

• Hey @Thorz,

I can definitely see how this is disrupting to your workflow. I have passed this additional feedback on to the team.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.