Re-Installing OS

Options

Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, and I was wondering if I would need to back up anything from 1Password? I currently sync my 1Password with dropbox, but am unsure if that includes attachments and everything. Can I just delete everything and then after re-installing Mountain Lion, simply point 1Password towards my dropbox folder?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

Yes thats fine, all 1Password files including attachments are stored in the keychain file. This will not contain things like the preference's for the app but they can be reset fairly simply.

Personally I always ensure I have a backup just in case.

As to Dropbox make sure as a safety precaution to unlink the Mac client from Dropbox.

As a side note make sure while you are at it. Visit the Dropbox site and make sure the email is a current one. I say this as a lot of folks loose access as they don't have a current valid email address. Since your going to be doing house cleaning its always a good time to look under the door mat for often over looked things. Additionally make sure its a personal one and not a work one. A lot of folks end up leaving etc and cannot get password recovery emails any longer.

Another point is sometimes during a relink Dropbox lately has been in the habit of requiring a password reset. By ensuring you have a vaild email before doing that, you will ensure you can access your accounts easily.

Good luck on you endeavor. If you have issue's we will be here and I will also be at the Dropbox forums.

--

Tom Hightower

AgileBits (1Password) Support Moderator / Dropbox Forum Moderator

• MikeT
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi @parekh,

In addition to what Tom have suggested, please also back up your 1Password backups. By default, they are located in Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > _Backups_

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for your helpful responses! This issue is resolved.

• On behalf of Tom and myself, you're welcome!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Good catch I forget about that as I have hazel auto move mine. Thanks for picking up my lapse. Dually noted for next time.

This discussion has been closed.