1Password Safari extension is disappearing from Safari's toolbar

Options
Yoms
Yoms
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi,

Have you removed support for the classic extension as of today? It's no long displayed in Safari and when I try to re-enable it, it promptly appears and disappears from the tool bar. And of course, it doesn't fill forms.

On the Google support page, it's clearly written that cease of support for Manifest v2 is not even scheduled in 2024. So why is that happening?

Thanks for clarifying.

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: 7.9.9
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @Yoms,

If you are using 1Password 7 you will still have access to the 1Password extension for Safari that comes packaged with it.

That being said, I recommend you upgrade to 1Password 8 at your earliest convenience as 1Password 7 is no longer supported. That way you will get to use all of our great new features and fixes.

Here is how: 1Password 8 for Mac.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    Options

It seems I had a simple "bug". The extension had disappeared. I cleared all data from Safari, closed and restarted it, but the extension would not show up again. After restarting my computer, the extension appeared again.

I'm fine with v7 and storing my passwords locally. That said, not updating the classic extension to handle Manifest V3 in the future is an [redacted] move towards old customers. It's not as if v7 users were asking for new features only present in v8. It's just a compatibility issue. Show a bit of consideration towards instead of simply asking us to pay again for a subscription when we're actually fine with v7.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Yoms

The built-in Safari extension that comes with 1Password 7 for Mac should still be working as far as I know. You said:

when I try to re-enable it, it promptly appears and disappears from the tool bar.

This sounds like something is broken with the 1Password 7 app's code signature on your Mac. If you, or someone else, runs into the issue again then the steps below will get you up and running with the latest version of 1Password 7 from our website (don't worry, your data is stored in a separate location and is safe):

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password app. Hold down the Control (⌃) and Option (⌥) keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Then try to enable the Safari extension again. Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.