what is 'field name'

Options
mlabs
mlabs
Community Member
edited February 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When editing my web login item I notice at the bottom there is a table 'All Fields' where it lists out the fields and the fill values. There is also a 'Field Name' entry that is editable for each field. What exactly should go in here? I had hoped it would be the HTML ID of the form field to be filled on the page but that doesn't seem to work...?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is the HTML field "name" rather than "ID", hence "field name". :)

That said, we don't normally recommend manually fiddling with the "All Fields" section. It is primarily there for troubleshooting.

Rather, we recommend saving all Login items via the browser extension so 1Password can "learn" the field names directly from the pages. If you are not automatically prompted to save a Login item when you log in to a website, you can always save one manually like this:

1. Enter your credentials in the site's login form, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

• Hi mlabs,

Generally, the All Fields should be left alone for most users. It's the raw data saved by the browser extension when it auto-saves your data from the Login/Registration forms.

However, if there's a problem and 1Password can't fill in, you generally look up the field name of the input field and enter that data in this item, so that 1Password knows where it goes.

It should be either the id= or name= values but some sites places a hidden frame, so that 1Password can't get to it properly.

Could you tell us the site, so we can look at its code to see why 1Password's not filling in?

Thanks!

• mlabs
    mlabs
    Community Member
    Options

hmm .. there are no hidden frames or anything like that... it's a pretty simple looking login page actually - three input fields, two text, one password, each has an HTML id of course but not all of them have the optional HTML name attribute .. doesn't seem to matter because it doesn't fill correctly even on the field that has both.... https://time.keywcorp.com is the login...

• Hi @mlabs,

Can you tell me which browser you're using and which 1Password extension version?

It works fine for me in Safari 6.0.2 on Mac. It auto-saved and populate it correctly on demand.

• mlabs
    mlabs
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

firefox 18.02
    ext 3.9.9
    doesn't work for me in safari (6.0.2) or chrome (24.0.1312.57) either...

can you confirm that I should be able to enter the HTML id of a field in the 'Field Name' section in order to map that field to that particular HTML id? If not, what exactly is it doing to look for fields to auto-fill?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013
    Options

It is working well for me in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. You didn't mention if you saved a new Login item as I requested above. We really encourage you to not mess with the field names but rather save the Login via the browser extension as I described above.

This discussion has been closed.