Logging in via Facebook or Twitter and 1Password?

Options

Some sites (including this forum) allow you to log in with Facebook or Twitter rather than having to create a password just for them. How does this work with 1Password? Is it a good idea to use Facebook or Twitter to login to new sites, or should I create a different login item especially for each site? I'm assuming 1Password has no way of knowing when I create a new account for a site through Facebook. Thanks.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi @Cybernettr,

It is up to you. Facebook and/or Twitter passes on a time-limited security token to other sites, this reduces the need for the sites to have to know your password. However, if somebody figures out how to log into your Facebook/Twitter account, they could use it to log into other sites as well.

So, it's probably safe to have one stolen password that only works on one site rather than to have one that could get into many sites. Some people don't consider this forum as important enough to consider creating a separate account for and would be okay if their Facebook/Twitter account got hacked into.

However, that's a different story if your bank site allows Twitter/Facebook, you wouldn't want to risk that part.

This is why this is up to you, it depends on the value you give to each site.

• Cybernettr
    Cybernettr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. From a purely practical standpoint, it seems I should always use 1Password. Otherwise, I have to remember "Oh, I use Facebook for this site and 1Password for that one." Or is there a way for me to store in 1Password the fact that I use Facebook to log into a particular site?

• Hi @Cybernettr,

Not at the moment. In 1Password 4 for OS X, you'll be able to add multiple sites to the same Facebook item, so you can see your Facebook item show up on those sites via the browser extensions.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Slick!!

Has Agile published a feature list for 1P4 (tentative or otherwise), or is it going to be more of a scavenger hunt sort of thing where we are going to have to scour the forums for nuggets like this one? :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I thought this feature already public knowledge since it already debuted in 1Password 4 for iOS back in December. :)

This discussion has been closed.