1Password Helper no longer working

Options
gustavog
gustavog
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

1Password 7.9.10. macOS 11.7.6 Safari 15.0

I had installed 1Password 8 and quickly realized it doesn't support local vaults. I removed it and re-installed 1Password 7. The 1Password for Safari does not read any of the password in the vault. I removed 1Password for Safari also and the 1Password icon extension shows briefly on the browser then disappears.

1Password Extension Helper shows running in the Activity Monitor

To make matter worse, when I open 1Password 7, the open and fill switches to Safari but it does not navigate to the page and obviously does not fill any fields.

I have to cut and paste the URL, username and password now.

Yes I have restarted Mac and I have restarted Safari. I have removed the extension and re installed it. Not sure what else to do at this point.

P.S. The Open and Fill from the desktop app, stopped working even before I tried to upgrade to 1Password 8.

Thank you,

Gustavo

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.7.6
Browser:_ Safari 15.0 (16612.1.29.41.4, 16612)

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @gustavog! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with 1Password 7 and Safari. With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates going forward. Is there a particular reason why you wanted to stick with old standalone vaults? 1Password.com account vaults are much more secure and have better functionality.

That being said, it sounds like something is broken with the 1Password 7 app's code signature on your Mac. The steps below will get you up and running with the latest version of 1Password 7 from our website (don't worry, your data is stored in a separate location and is safe):

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open the main 1Password app. Hold down the Control (⌃) and Option (⌥) keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

Then try to enable the Safari extension again. Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.