Do I need to import passwords?

Options

When I was updating my Safari 1Password Extension to 2.10.0 today, it asked if I wanted to import my passwords. What do I do? I have a 1Password subscription for Mac(a membership). When I log in to 1Password, I usually do so through the app on my dock. Then I navigate to my websites using 1Password in Safari with the little icon on the toolbar. I'm not sure what it means by importing passwords to Safari. My passwords are all in the 1Password app and in Safari via the little icon in Safari. So, every time when I have a 1Pass update in the App Store, it always asks if I want to import my passwords. My question is simply have I already done that? I'm confused. Sorry!

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey @jazzman,

Firstly, if you can sign in to 1Password.com and see all of your items then it sounds like everything is set up correctly and your passwords are saved in your 1Password.

That being said, could you share a screenshot of the message so I can see where it is coming form and best advise?

Thank you!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @steph.giles,

Sorry I took so long and I no longer have a picture of the message. I can tell you where it came from. It came from an App Store update. I just accepted the update, and that was the last step. It just asked if I wanted to import my passwords. Well, if I’m using 1Pass as I described previously, haven’t I already done that?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @steph.giles

I was able to find the picture of that message from the update. Tell me how to attach a screenshot. It's not working.

• Hi @jazzman,

What method are you currently using to attach the screenshot here? You should be able to use either of the following options:

• Click the image icon above the text area, then click "Choose Files". Select the image file you want to include, then click "Open".
    • Locate the image file on your computer, then drag and drop it into the text area.

Be sure to mask or remove any sensitive information before posting.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @david.m_1P

Thanks. Here's what I get when I do either of your tips:

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

WOW! It worked. You just never know. Every time when I have a 1Pass update in the App Store, it always asks if I want to import my passwords when I'm finishing the update just like the above. Every time. So do I ignore it or what?

• This screen appears during the installation process for 1Password in your browser. You can click "I'm all set" if your passwords are already stored in 1Password. @jazzman?, can you confirm if you had cleared your Safari history prior to updating?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@david.m_1P

I did not clear my Safari history prior to updating. I didn't know about that. So do you do that each time?

The screen above appears every time I perform an update from the App Store.

• No @jazzman , with the latest version of 1Password for Safari, clearing your Safari history will lead to the removal of the local copy of your information and you'll receive the error message explained in the following article:

I was only asking to see if there may be any correlation, however, this doesn't appear to be the case for you.

When you update 1Password for Safari in the App Store, are you clicking the "Open" button, then seeing the following window and selecting "Finish Setup in Safari"?

Image of the 'Start using 1Password for Safari' window.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@david.m_1P

When updating, I do click the "Open" button and then I think I did click on "Finish Setup in Safari" in that window. Advise please.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@jazzman

After updating there is generally no need to reopen 1Password for Safari. For example if I update, I do not need to open 1Password for Safari as I completed the initial setup previously.

tl;dr You do not need to open 1Password for Safari on an update. :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

So, if I understand correctly, click on update but stop at that point. I.e., After it updates, there's no need to click on "Open". Is that right?
    I think that's where I got confused.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Yes, Update only.

No worries we're all here learning together.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much.

• On behalf of Tommy, you're welcome @jazzman.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.