Feature Request: Custom Categories

Options

I really like the "wallet" feature in 1password, and I use it to store a lot of important documents such as insurance policies, college transcripts, etc. However, I wish I was able to add my own category labels, because the files I want to upload don't always fit the pre-defined category labels such as "bank account," "passport," etc. Thanks again for making such a great product, and for taking this feature request into consideration!

Comments

• Hi @parekh,

We get a lot of requests for this and this is something we'd like to do in the future for 1Password but as to when it might happen, nobody knows for sure. The good news is that we're supporting item customization starting with 1Password 4 for iOS and it is sure to come in the 1Password 4 for OS X release as well.

This is the first step and some could make some deductions to point out that categories could be next but we can't promise anything. :)

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your response, and for taking my request into consideration!

• You're welcome!

• Brazuca
    Brazuca
    Community Member
    Options

I am a 1Password customer since April 2008 (by the way extremely loyal customer!!!). I have been requesting the same custom categories feature since then and receiving the same answer for the past 5 years. Since it seems either difficult or not a priority for the developer, could at least add some other very common and useful categories in the wallet that I am sure a large percentage of your customers will appreciate?

• Medical (medical, dental, vision insurance card numbers, medical record numbers, medical license or DEA number, pharmacy etc)
    • Green Card or other Government issue documents other than passport, SSN or driver's license
    • Magazine or Journal Subscriptions numbers and expiration

I don't think adding them to the next update release will take a lot of time from the developers and at least those loyal customers like me will feel the little token of appreciation!

Keep doing this wonderful job! You cannot imagine how your work made my life easier!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the incredibly kind words, Brazuca. We really appreciate your longtime support! :)

It is a bit more complex than just adding a template in an update since 1Password needs to sync (and thus be updated) across Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. Any substantial change to the templates would require an update for every platform. We already see a little bit of this with the custom fields (which are already available in 1Password 4 for iOS). They are not yet available in 1Password for Mac since 1Password is still on version 3 on Mac and they are a brand new version 4 feature.

As Mike mentioned, this is the first step, but we need to make sure to roll things out carefully. We actually had custom templates in a very early 1Password 3 for Mac beta many years ago, but we had to abandon them for various technical reasons. It is still something we are looking at, but we hope custom fields will go a long way to making this easier for you.

As for the specific templates you mentioned, I use the "generic" Membership Wallet template for pretty much all of the ones you listed. I hope that works for you for now, and with the custom fields in version 4 it is only getting better.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Thanks!

• Brazuca
    Brazuca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad for your prompt reply in a weekend message! One more example of how serious with their customers this company is. You bought me another 6 months of patience, hehehe!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha! Thanks. :)

We do really appreciate your patience, but we don't want to take advantage of it. We're working hard to improve 1Password, and I think you will be very pleased with 1Password 4 for Mac when it becomes available.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.