What does WLAN Server is rate limited mean?

Options

I realized I hadn't synced my iPhone & iPads recently so I launched 1Password 7.10.2 on the iPhone. However, when I went to sync, I received the message: "WLAN Server is rate limited. Wait 5.0 seconds and retry" so I did. It finally synced about 5 minutes ago, but I want to know exactly what that message meant.

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello @romad! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into an error message when syncing data over your WiFi network. WLAN sync is an old legacy sync feature in 1Password 7 which is no longer supported and a number of different variables could cause WLAN sync to not work properly. We've compiled all of our troubleshooting information regarding WLAN sync here:

If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

We're no longer setup to troubleshoot legacy WLAN sync issues beyond the scope of this article. If you do continue to run into sync issues then I recommend that you migrate to a modern 1Password account which uses 1Password.com to make sure that all of your items are automatically updated on all of your devices without you having to configure or troubleshoot sync.

-Dave

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted a definition of that message as it did successfully sync. If you don't know what "WLAN server is rate limited" means, hopefully someone else here on the forum might.

No, being on a fixed income, I'm dismayed by the new owners of AgileBits monetary greed. In addition I refuse to store any of my sensitive data "in the cloud" where it eventually WILL be stolen. I will continue to use 1Password 7 as long as possible.

• Dave_1P
    Options

My suspicion is that this error message could be caused by a variety of different circumstances but it would indeed be interesting if someone else could weigh in if they've encountered this before. 🙂

In addition I refuse to store any of my sensitive data "in the cloud" where it eventually WILL be stolen.

1Password uses cryptography so that your data never leaves your device unencrypted. The difference between the services whose data breaches you may have read about in the news and 1Password is the end-to-end encryption that 1Password uses. Other services either store their information in the cloud unencrypted or encrypted using a key that they control. With 1Password all of your information is stored encrypted using your own private keys that are derived from two secrets that only you know: your 1Password account password and your Secret Key.

This means that no one but you can decrypt your information. Even if 1Password was hacked the hackers would only find encrypted gibberish that means nothing without your 1Password account password and Secret Key. You can read more about our security model here: About the 1Password security model

We're offering large discounts to customers who have an old license for a previous version of 1Password. I see that you've previously spoken to our team about this and if you're ever interested in taking advantage of the discount offer in the future then don't hesitate to send an email to support+tradein@1Password.com

-Dave

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yes, it is perplexing as I hadn't ever seen it in the almost 15 years I've been using 1Password and syncing to my iDevices.

Oh, the another reason I'm not leaving 1Pwd7 is version 8 will not run on my iMac as it is maxed out at MacOS 10.13.6.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Understood. I'm glad to hear that sync is working successfully for you now. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.