1Password 7 for Mac: Dropbox for macOS on File Provider compatibility

Options
SirLancaster
SirLancaster
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm using 1Password 7 for macOS. I use Dropbox to sync between my Macs and iPhone. I recently noticed a new option in Dropbox > Preferences > Sync for enabling "the updated Dropbox for macOS on File Provider".

I would like to know if 1Password will continue to work without issues after that upgrade.

1Password Version: 7.9.10 (70910002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @SirLancaster! 👋

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. We strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance.

As we're no longer testing 1Password 7's legacy Dropbox sync feature against new updates to the Dropbox service I can't guarantee that you won't run into issues. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can advise on the best path forward. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• SirLancaster
    SirLancaster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave. Thanks for your quick reply. Hmm.... So I will have to forcibly move to the subscription model? I do not want that!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@SirLancaster

You can continue to use your license and 1Password 7 for as long as the old app continues to work, but we're no longer actively updating the app so changes to Dropbox (or macOS) might break things in the future. I haven't personally heard of Dropbox sync breaking for other folks so the changes that you mentioned in your initial post might not cause you any issues but I can't guarantee it since we haven't tested it ourselves.

Going forward, 1Password.com memberships are indeed the future of 1Password and you can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: What is the future of local/standalone vaults? — 1Password Support Community

We're currently offering large discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our old licensed version of 1Password. If you're interested then please send an email along with your license information to our team at support+tradein@1Password.com to receive a special offer. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.