Not able to use apple watch to unlock Mac 1Password

Options
kalelk
kalelk
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I am trying to set up "Unlock 1Password with apple watch". Unfortunately, this is not working. When I navigate to 1P Preferences > Security then I see a button that says "Set Up Apple Watch". Clicking on it just opens the "Privacy & Security" section of system settings. Nothing happens after that. I can unlock my Mac with an Apple watch without any issues. This is the first time I am trying to set this up. I am using a M2 Mac with OS Ventura 13.3.1 and apple watch series 1(Pretty old I know :-). But I don't want to invest a few hundred dollars again just to unlock an app).

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 13.3.1 (a)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @kalelk! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble unlocking 1Password 7 using your Apple Watch. With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates.

As a start, I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 to see if that helps: Upgrade to 1Password 8

If you already have a 1Password membership, then the upgrade is available at no additional charge. Let me know if that doesn't work.

-Dave

ref: TFA-34489-724

• kalelk
    kalelk
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P

Many thanks for your quick response. I would love to upgrade. But I have some hard constraints. I am a freelance developer and share common credentials via a shared vault on Dropbox. I have a paid subscription. Others are still on perpetual 1P. But for my daily work, I need this shared vault. My understanding is, from version 8 onwards I can't access such shared vaults. Is this correct? if yes then I can't upgrade. Otherwise, I will be out of work.

I currently run two different versions on my iPhone. Is there a possibility to do the same on Mac as well without any conflicts?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kalyan.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kalelk

Correct, 1Password 8 does not support old standalone vaults. I do know that many freelancers use guest accounts to share items with their clients. You can read more about those here:

Alternatively, you can share single items at a time using a secure share link: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

I currently run two different versions on my iPhone. Is there a possibility to do the same on Mac as well without any conflicts?

Technically it's possible to run both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time but I wouldn't recommend it since it can cause issues with the connection between the desktop app and the browser extension.

In any case, I do see that you also sent an email to our support team and received a response from one of my colleagues not too long ago, I recommend that you continue the conversation there. The support team will be able to help further over email. 🙂

-Dave

ref: TFA-34489-724

• kalelk
    kalelk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P ,

Many thanks for the information. It's the other way, I am using their standalone vaults. I can't ask them to change. I guess I have to live with what I have for now :-). Thanks a lot for your time and support.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kalyan.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kalelk

I understand. We're limited in how much we can troubleshoot 1Password 7 these days but there's at least one general suggestion I can offer. Before I do, can you confirm that your Mac is listed here. You mentioned that it was a M2 Mac so it probably is but I just want to make sure.

If it is listed there then the following steps might help:

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Uncheck your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    2. Turn off your Mac.
    3. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    4. Turn on your Mac.
    5. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Check your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac.

I hope that helps.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.