Questions regarding 1Password 7 and browser extensions

Options
necktilt
necktilt
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

It's nearly a year since I made my thoughts known on 1P8 and why I was sticking with 1P7, here...
https://1password.community/discussion/comment/646064#Comment_646064
I now see that browser extensions for 1P7 will no longer work after July.
That's it. I'll be off shortly. Possibly to Keeper.
1Password was a great app and I enjoyed using it for many years.
Bye.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I read somewhere that browser extensions will no longer work in 1P7 after July. Can you please tell me if this is the case? If it is, I think the time has come for me to move on from 1Password. I've been a user for ten years, but 1P8 is not for me.

1Password Version: 7.9.10
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Safari

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

OK, in case anyone’s interested, I wrote the second comment as a new post after I thought the first (call me suspicious) had been deleted from the main Mac forum where I posted it. I didn’t even know this forum here existed, but this is where 1P has moved them, combined. Got that? But I still would like to know, 1P people, if the browser extensions really are being decommissioned from 1P7. Thanks!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @necktilt! 👋

I've merged the two threads together and moved them to the appropriate category. In the future, you can see all of your discussions by clicking on your name at the top of the community and then clicking "Discussions".

The old "classic" extension will indeed stop working soon and you can read more here. 1Password Classic was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our latest extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

If you already have a 1Password membership then you can continue to use 1Password 7 with the modern extension for now. I see in your previous post from a year ago that you mention having a subscription, that means that you'll be able to use 1Password 7 with the modern extension. However, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates going forward. If you do change your mind and decide to stick with 1Password then I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8.

That being said, if you do decide to leave 1Password then I wish you all the best. Thank you for being part of the community for so many years.

-Dave

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. The Classic extension is the one that stops; a new one is in development; the Modern one I can use. Yes? Three extensions? I’m confused.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@necktilt

I'm sorry for the confusion. Right now, there are two extensions that can be used with 1Password (when using Chrome, Firefox, Brave, or Edge):

1. The old classic extension: If you have this installed you'll see "1Password extension (desktop app required)" on your browser's extensions page.
    2. 1Password in the browser (the modern extension): If you have this installed you'll see "1Password - Password Manager" on your browser's extensions page.

It's the first extension, the classic extension, that will stop working. The second, 1Password in the browser, will continue to work and it's where we're focusing our development efforts in the future. You may already be using 1Password in the browser, most people are.

Let me know if that's still confusing. 🙂

-Dave

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

I think that’s clear—will check when I’m by my screen.

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I'm using Safari.

Your last message implies your comments only apply to Chrome, Firefox, Brave, or Edge.

My existing 1Password Extension in Safari just says "1Password 7.9.10 from 1Password 7" next to it on the Extensions page.

So what's the future (if any) of that one?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@necktilt

1Password 7's built-in browser extension for Safari isn't affected by the deprecation of the old classic extension. It's possible that changes to Safari or macOS in the future may break things there but, as of the time of this writing, you can continue to use it for as long as it continues to work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• necktilt
    necktilt
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, OK—understood.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.