Convince me upgrading to v8 will be good for me.

Options

I think I've been using 1Pasword on my Macs since Feb 2008, at least that's the creation date on my oldest items. Up to now it's all been plain sailing. I can't remember needing tech support, I think I may have reported a glitch in one version way back, but otherwise nothing. I have 2 vaults, one is shared with my husband and again this works perfectly for us.

I'm running Version 7.9.10 (70910002) on my 2016 MacBook and I think 2014 iMac, with no real issues on these or on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro (3rd Generation). However, I'm probably going to be getting a replacement MacBook later this year and the lack of further development of v7 means maybe it's time to start looking at v8 or an alternative.

Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few problems reported in the support community with v8, and I don't really want to 'upgrade' if it's currently plagued with various glitches - has the date format issue been resolved yet for example?

Will be v8 be overcomplicated for what I need? I think when I signed up first there was only one version, now 1Password is a bigger beast with Business, Enterprise and Developer versions, it looks to me that it's aimed more at businesses than individual users.

My heart is telling me to stick with V7 because I really like and trust it, but my head is saying it probably won't work with a new MacBook, or if it does it'll still have a limited lifespan anyway.

Anyone out there a long term 1Password fan that has made the switch to v8? How was it for you?

TIA

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Sooze! 👋

Thank you for being part of 1Password for so many years! 😊

Although I'm obviously biased, I've been using 1Password 8 for almost two years now and I'm loving it. All I can say is, give it a try and see what you think. If you update to 1Password 8 and decide that you'd like to go back to 1Password 7 then you can certainly do so, updating to 1Password 8 is not a one-way door. You can update to 1Password 8 for Mac by following this guide: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

Do you already have a 1Password membership or are you currently using an old standalone vault with a license?

-Dave

• Sooze
    Sooze
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I'm just using standalone vaults. I'm sure I had all the emails about the membership, but I'm afraid I ignored them because I was so happy with how 1Password was working for me.

I'll have a look at the guide, it's good that I could revert to 7 if 8 doesn't impress me more that 7. I know it's inevitable that software has to evolve, but I really have to be convinced that new features are valuable to me, and work as they should.
    Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Sooze

You can find a description of what's new in 1Password 8 here: 1Password 8 for Mac

1Password 8 is a complete redesign of 1Password. Our designers really focused on making 1Password easier to use and that includes convenience features like Universal AutoFill (the ability to fill into Mac apps) and a simpler user interface. Give 1Password 8 a try and definitely let us know what you think.

We're currently offering big discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our old licensed version of 1Password. If you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership. 😊

-Dave

• Sooze
    Sooze
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave,

I'll give it a look & check out next weekend.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Sounds good. We'll be here if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• Sooze
    Sooze
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,
    Just wanted to leave an update for you. I’ve made the switch and signed up for the subscription. There were a couple of initial issues, mainly due to my misunderstanding though.

Everything in both vaults imported nicely and it has given me a nudge into cleaning out old, no longer needed passwords (archived just in case).

As I previously said my v7 set up was a vault for me, and a shared vault with my husband via Dropbox (he also had a personal vault). Now with the family account I’m going to set up a vault to share with our 2 adult kids with all ‘emergency’ info. Details of the lawyer that has copies of our wills, all bank account details, utility account numbers, health insurance, GP’s etc

So I now have my personal vault, one shared with my husband that says I have invite family members to share, and a family vault that says ‘everyone in your family can see and edit items in this vault’. When I invite the kids to join the family account will they have access to the vault I share with their dad, or just the family vault? Can I keep a vault just between my husband and I?
    Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Sooze

I'm happy to hear that you were able to migrate to a 1Password account. 😊

I would be happy to answer your question, first I'll explain the different types of vaults available with 1Password Families:

• Private/Personal vaults: each family member has their own Private/Personal vault and this is where they can store items that are for their eyes only. You can't share your Private/Personal vault with another family member.
    • Shared vaults: items in a shared vault will be seen by any family member who has access to that vault.

Each 1Password Families membership comes with a special built-in Shared vault that all family members in the membership automatically have access to. Any items placed into this vault will be seen by both your husband and your kids.

Any additional vault that you create can only be viewed by the family members that you explicitly give permission to view that vault. If you have a vault that only you and your husband have access to then your kids will not be able to view the items in that vault. You can read more about sharing vaults here: Share passwords with your family

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• Sooze
    Sooze
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.