Access more fields from Quick Access - Redux

Options
DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown
Community Member

I have just transitioned to Win-1P 8 and have immediately found a major change that seriously disrupts the way I use 1P. It is a similar issue to what this thread describes:
Access more fields from Quick Access
I, too, want more fields accessible in Quick Access. But it is worse that this. With the Mini display, I could use it to quickly fill in multiple fields in application windows, which as you know, can't be auto-filled. When I recalled the Mini window, the last logon I used was selected and all I had to do was hit Ctrl-Shft-c then tab to get the next field. Now, I don't know how to do that.

I also used the SideBar to access my favorites, which I can't do at all. I could use short-cuts without the mouse to do many things in Mini that I found extremely useful. Actually, I would strongly request that the Mini display be reintroduced. I find the Quick Access to be seriously deficient.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @DoctorBrown, thanks for reaching out with your feedback! I can absolutely understand how Quick Access might feel unintuitive and disruptive to the workflow for users who are used to 1Password Mini, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

When I recalled the Mini window, the last logon I used was selected and all I had to do was hit Ctrl-Shft-c then tab to get the next field. Now, I don't know how to do that.

After searching for an item in Quick Access, you can use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to your chosen item. Hitting Enter will open and fill the highlighted item in a browser, while the right arrow key will display its details ready to copy over to other apps. If you display the wrong item, the left arrow key will return you to the results list.

From the displayed item, you can either use the shortcuts shown next to fields to copy them, or navigate to a field using or , and then hit Enter to copy that field. When recalling Quick Access after copying a field, the last used item will still be displayed, and you can use the arrow keys and Enter (or the shortcuts shown on the fields) to copy the next field.

If there are fields you'd like to copy that aren't shown in Quick Access, you can hit Ctrl + O to open the item in a new window. From here, you can again use the arrow keys to navigate to your chosen field, and hit Enter to copy it.

I also used the SideBar to access my favorites, which I can't do at all. I could use short-cuts without the mouse to do many things in Mini that I found extremely useful.

I can definitely understand how being able to access your favorites list as you could in Mini would be more convenient, and I would be happy to pass your feedback along to our product team. Additionally, could you tell me a little more about some of the other shortcuts you used a lot in Mini, that aren't present in Quick Access? The more detail you can provide, the better, as this will help us to understand your needs and get a more detailed feature request filed for you.

I look forward to hearing from you!

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @1P_Gem, I really appreciate your extended explanation of how to use the short-cuts in Quick Access. After trying out the steps you described I can now see that once you learn the new short-cut sequences the number of steps is similar. I would have been less surprised if I had more of a heads up about the changes. Some of the short-cuts are in conflict with my Essential PIM (Contacts, Calandar, etc) app. The E-PIM seems to want to grab them first. I had this on 1P7, and had to change them in 1P. That's also why I got thrown for a loop in the 1P8, I wasn't using all of the default short-cuts.

What I miss the most in Quick Access is the access to the Mini sidebar from which I can access my Favorites and other Categories. From the Sidebar I think I can do everything I did before. The reason Favorites is important, as I can get to my most used items by staying on the Tab and Arrow keys without having to switch to type characters to find an item. The number of characters I need to type depends on how many items I have that have a given pattern.

One other characteristic I have an issues with is the Show in Large Type. The size is WAY over done. On my monitor my email address overflows onto a second line. It should never flow to a second line. I would say the characters only need to be less than one-half the size is it now. I find even the 1P7 large type to be overkill, but usable.

Thank you for listening. This is one reason 1P is the best.

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I just thought of a way to add the Sidebar like feature without changing anything about the layout. Currently when you open Quick Access, focus is in the Search bar and hitting Tab brings you to the icon that displays the current Account. Just add another button before this that will display a drop down of the items in the Sidebar. Issue solved!
    Oh and now the search could be limited to the Category selected.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @DoctorBrown! Thanks for getting back to me, and for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us 😄

Your suggestion of including a favorites and categories option in a menu next to the accounts menu is a great idea, and I can definitely understand how large type could be too large in some cases. I've filed feature requests with our product team on your behalf, including all of the information you've provided here.

If you have any further suggestions or questions, let me know!

ref: 33770566

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    Options

It is a pleasure working with you and the team. I'm glad I was able to offer my opinion.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

You're very welcome, and thanks for your kind words! 😄

This discussion has been closed.