Google Passkey doesn't work in edge with security keys enabled on google account

Options
BetaUserMan
BetaUserMan
Community Member

I added a google passkey in the beta version of edge with 1password.

I do have yubikey's on my google account. Edge simply keeps asking me to input my security key and doesn't seem to ask 1password for a passkey. When I use my security key I can't login and google gives me an error now. I had to delete hte passkey because it simply isn't working and it was really tough to get back into google

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Edge 114.0.1823.37

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @BetaUserMan, thanks for reaching out about this. I'm curious, do you remember the error message that you received from Google? I don't have a security key to test, and I don't see that anyone else has reported the same behavior. However, if you can reproduce the issue or provide us with more info, we will be glad to investigate further.

• BetaUserMan
    BetaUserMan
    Community Member
    Options

It’s essentially the exact opposite of this problem I linked to below, so I suspect it’s related, where Edge asks for and only allows me to use a usb security key and the dialog box doesn’t allow me to use the 1pass passkey. It’s a system dialog box. The google error is only because it wants the passkey and not the webauth token from my security key.

When you use safari, it will ask if you want to use a passkey or a security key so it may be an issue with how edge handles the request?

https://1password.community/discussion/140685/passkey-blocking-login-with-other-physical-key

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BetaUserMan I do get the prompt to sign in with my Google passkey in Safari and Chrome. I do not get the same prompt in Edge. It does seem like Google doesn't support passkeys in Edge just yet. The technology is quite new, so I am hopeful that Google will be extending passkey support to all browsers in the future. I recommend using a supported browser in the meantime.

• BetaUserMan
    BetaUserMan
    Community Member
    Options

Is this a bug in Googles page that we should report to google or is edge handling the request wrong and we should report to Microsoft?

It’s a system dialog box that pops up asking for a security key not a passkey. Maybe edge should offer two choices like safari?

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

• BetaUserMan
    BetaUserMan
    Community Member
    Options

I also want to point out that junglecat reported the same exact issues as me except in the brave browser here:

https://1password.community/discussion/140562/unable-to-log-in-to-google-account-with-passkey-function

This discussion has been closed.