macOS High Sierra, 1P 7 & 8 and the Firefox extension

Options
kevbob
kevbob
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Howdy-

Amongst my 4 computers, I have an oldish MacBook Pro 2011 which is still a wonderfully productive laptop for me. Alas, 1Password 7 is the latest version that is supported on this hardware and the Safari extension requires v8. Firefox has been my go to browser since it supports 1P v7. But, in a week, that extension stops working, according to the warning I get after doing a browser update, it has a specific date of 1 July.

The suggested path is 1P 8, which isn't possible. I get that you can't support every iteration forever, but is 1P 7 also going to stop working? If not, why will the extension die?

1Password Version: 7 & 8
Extension Version: 4.75.9
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @kevbob! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to upgrade to 1Password 8 on your old Macbook Pro. The 1Password classic extension for browsers like Firefox and Chrome was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our latest extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

If you already have a 1Password account then, as of this writing, you can still use 1Password in the browser for Firefox alongside 1Password 7: 1Password – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Alas, 1Password 7 is the latest version that is supported on this hardware and the Safari extension requires v8.

1Password 7 has a built-in extension for Safari which isn't affected by the deprecation of the classic extension for browsers such as Firefox and Chrome.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

ah ok, I don't think the warnings for the old extension did anything but refer me to 1P8 which is not possible. Anyway, Safari is my go-to on my more modern laptops but desktop Slack isn't supported on this OS and it doesn't work within a Safari window any longer. Firefox on High Sierra is the same rev as it is on other platforms and I can get Slack going in there. (I'd rather have everything in one browser instead of flipping betwixt Safari and Firefox.)

I added in the 1Password in the browser tool, and will go forward with that.

Thanks

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to hear that you're up and running with 1Password in the browser. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.