Deleting old 1Password Data Storage locations

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

OK, I was looking at my mid-2011 iMac & MacBook Air, and found I had THREE different locations for my 1Password data.
On the iMac the first location is at ~/Library/Application Support/1Password which has 2 files and 6 folders. The files are:
1Password.legacyagilekeychain
1Password.opvault

and the 6 folders are labeled: Backups, Cache, Diagnostics, Extensions Fill, and License
Backups has 51 keychain zip files dated in April through July 2017
Cache has 1 cache file dated in February 2010
Diagnostics has a 1Password Troubleshooting.html link
Extensions has 3 folders dated in 2012, 2013, & 2014 respectively
Fill has 2 .plist files which are for 2 websites
License has 5 files the most recent of which is 339712_1Passwd_Single.awslicense dated 19 Jan 2010

The second iMac location is at ~/Library/Application Support/1Password4 which has 4 folders labeled: b5PendingFileUpload, Backups, Data, and Watchtower The first folder is empty, while Backups has 121 files dated from November 2016 through October 2019.
Data folder has 13 files that end with ".blob2" and 6 files that are sqlite files: B5.sqlite, B5.sqlite-shm, B5.sqlite-wal, OnePassword.sqlite, OnePassword.sqlite-shm, OnePassword.sqlite-wal

The third iMac location is at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits that has 6 folders. Based on the data in the folder labeled License, I'm guessing this is the are where my 1Password 7 data and backups are kept.

My MacBook Air has the same EXCEPT it does not have the 1Password4 folder.

So my question is may I delete the 1Password folders in ~/Library/Application Support/ ?

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: 7.9.10
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello @romad! 👋

It looks like you've been using many different versions of 1Password over the years and, as a result, you see the data stored by those different versions in different places as the 1Password app has changed and evolved over time.

1Password 7 stores the vault database, backup files, license files, and Watchtower vulnerability data in a single folder:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/

If you can see all of your items in 1Password 7 for Mac then that's the folder that you definitely want to keep.

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ is where 1Password data files were stored for versions 4 and 5 of 1Password for Mac as well as the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6. If you upgraded from one of these previous versions then that explains why you're seeing this folder.

The other folders won't cause any issues if you leave them where they are and there generally isn't a need to manually clean those files.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I started with 1Password 1, IIRC, when it was part of a bundle purchase in 2007. I then bought version 2 directly from the old Agile Web Solutions in Nov 2008, ditto version 3 in Nov 2009. In 2012 I got 1 Password Pro and 1Password 4, but skipped version 5 and eventually bought versions 6 & 7.

OK, then I'll probably go ahead and delete the 2 folders in ~/Library/Application Support since the folder in the Group Containers folder is the active one. Thanks for the help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that I was able to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.