Suggested password in the browser doesn't save

Options

In exactly the same way as this post from 2020, I find that using the suggested password in the browser results in the password not being saved.

In this particular case it's at https://app.prolific.co/forgot-password.

1Password used to save every password it generated for any reason. At least I think it did. Doesn't the latest version? The 'Generator History' linked in that previous post no longer exists.

It should be literally impossible to lose a password this way. Thankfully I can just reset this one, again. If this was for something like a crypto wallet I might be in deep sh!t.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi @johnnynoble,

I'm sorry to hear that you had an issue with the generated password.

Did you see any error messages like this?

Meanwhile, you can access the generated password history at the bottom of the Password Generator:

1. Open your browser and unlock 1Password in the browser.
    2. Click the 1Password logo in the toolbar.
    3. Click the menu icon beside the "+ New Item" button in the top-right corner.
    4. Choose "Password Generator".
    5. Click "Password Generator History" at the bottom of the Password Generator box.

Then, you can view all the passwords that are generated from 1Password and retrieve the password you are looking for.

• johnnynoble
    johnnynoble
    Community Member
    Options

Did you see any error messages like this?

I did not. The password filled in the field and then nothing happened. I just assumed that it had saved...

Meanwhile, you can access the generated password history at the bottom of the Password Generator

...and here's where I needed to look! Thanks.

FWIW I thought it was a lot more obvious in the old system where the 'Passwords' item in the main app just contained every password you'd ever generated.

• Thanks for getting back to me @johnnynoble

Are you only running into this issue with the Prolific site or with other sites as well?

Let's try using our testing website to determine how 1Password is working there:

1. Navigate to this site -> https://fill.dev/form/registration-email
    2. Manually type in a test email or choose one from the autofill menu.
    3. Click on 'Use Suggested Password' from the autofill menu.
    4. Does 1Password offer to save the login?

It should look something like this:

Let me know how it goes!

• johnnynoble
    johnnynoble
    Community Member
    Options

This happened yesterday while doing a password reset at AMP, and just now while choosing a new password at Macquarie.

• Hey @johnnynoble,

Just to clarify, you are clicking on the suggested password beneath the field, it is filling but then no 'Save in 1Password' dialogue is appearing?

If this is the case I'd like to ask you to recreate the behaviour you are seeing and send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• johnnynoble
    johnnynoble
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried to replicate and of course now it's offering to save the password.

Next time it happens I'll grab logs.

• Always the way @johnnynoble!

I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but let us know if we can further assist.

This discussion has been closed.