Questions about migrating to 1Password 8 and an account

Options
Ocelot
Ocelot
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello
I use 1password since a very long time but I totally disagree with the fact that there is no more standalone version.
As my 1password isn't working on my new browser (Brave) I'm thinking of using another password manager.

Before choosing I want to know :

• on the new version of 1password are my password kept in a cloud or on my computer or both ? The question is : can I use 1password without internet connection ?
  • if I subscribe to 1password 8 and in the future decide not to pay each month anymore, will I be still able to use my 1password or will I loos all my password ?

Thanks for your help

Very, very disappointed by your change of billing politic !

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.16
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Ocelot! 👋

Thank you for the questions. I'll directly reply below:

on the new version of 1password are my password kept in a cloud or on my computer or both ? The question is : can I use 1password without internet connection ?

When using 1Password 8, your passwords and other items are stored locally on your device and they are also backed up to your 1Password account on 1Password.com. If you lose internet connection then you'll continue to be able to view and edit your passwords as long as you have the 1Password app installed on your device.

if I subscribe to 1password 8 and in the future decide not to pay each month anymore, will I be still able to use my 1password or will I loos all my password ?

If you decide to let your subscription lapse then your account will go into a frozen state where you'll still be able to view and copy your passwords but you won't be able to create new items, edit items, or fill items into the browser. You can read more here: If your 1Password account is frozen

If you do decide to migrate then our guide on upgrading can be found here: Upgrade to 1Password 8

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• Ocelot
    Ocelot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer.

I still have interrogations :

• if I'm in place with no internet connection will I be able to create new items, edit items… or will I be frozen ?

• My computer is under 10.14.6 so I can't use 1Password8 do you have any solution for me ?

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Ocelot

if I'm in place with no internet connection will I be able to create new items, edit items… or will I be frozen ?

Yep, you can still make changes, and they'll sync next time you unlock 1Password while you're online.

My computer is under 10.14.6 so I can't use 1Password8 do you have any solution for me ?

If your Mac is unable to run macOS Catalina 10.15, then you can continue using 1Password 7 on that Mac, although we would recommend updating to a newer version of macOS when you can, which will also let you upgrade to 1Password 8.

• Ocelot
    Ocelot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

So I'll still use my 1Password7

There is a bug on your website (French version) : when I click on 'Product' A blank page appear with : 'Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information).'

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Ocelot

You're welcome. I just checked 1Password.com when in French and the "Produit 🔽" button worked, and so did all the links in that drop-down. If you're still seeing an error, could you paste the URL for the affected page here, and I'll take another look?

• Ocelot
    Ocelot
    Community Member
    Options

Seems to work back normaly.

I switch from Safari to Brave but I can't install the 1password 7 extension in this Browser, can you help me ?

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Ocelot

You can use the current version of 1Password in the browser in Brave by installing the Chrome extension:

1Password – Downloads – Browser extension

Click the Install button under the Brave icon and the extension will be installed. Then, you can follow Get to know 1Password in your browser for further instructions.

If you have any items left in a Primary vault, you'll need to Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account to make sure they're available in 1Password in Brave.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

• Ocelot
    Ocelot
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

I installed the 1password extension in Brave… but when I click on the icon of the extension a little window opens with 'Open 1password' but nothing happen when I click on this button…

• @Ocelot

It sounds as if you are on the inline menu. If you click the toolbar icon do you experience different results?

This discussion has been closed.