Problem syncing with Dropbox when it's set to a custom folder

Options
julio09
julio09
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi, I'm having trouble with this configuration. A few days back I installed a SSD in my Mac as main drive, and to save space I moved my Dropbox folder to a second internal hard drive.

Since my 1Password was set to sync with Dropbox I assumed it wouldn't be affected by the folder change, but today after detecting logins weren't syncing between devices I found out that under Preferences / General my data is synced to a Library/Containers/com.agilebits... folder instead Dropbox.

The thing is that the Use Dropbox button is greyed out, so I'm wondering how can I sync it with Dropbox again maintaining my new Dropbox folder location.

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I tried it the hard way, deleted the app and the existing keyfile from Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper... and downloaded the app again.

When I opened it I was asked to select an existing keychain or create a new one, so I selected my existing keychain from Dropbox and I had this message:

Failed import 1Password data. Cannot copy 'file://localhost/Volumes/Datos/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/' to 'file://localhost/Users/Julio/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain': Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "El archivo “1Password.agilekeychain” no existe." UserInfo=0x7f89696c6df0 {NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Volumes/Datos/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, NSUserStringVariant=(
Copy
), NSDestinationFilePath=/Users/Julio/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain, NSFilePath=/Volumes/Datos/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f89690690b0 "No se ha podido completar la operación. No existe este archivo o directorio"}

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 3.9 adheres to Apple's sandboxing guidelines which require explicit permission to access files and folders on your disk. 1Password 3.9 has permission to access this exact location:

~/Dropbox

If your Dropbox folder is not located there, 1Password simply cannot access it. At the moment, 1Password 3.9 is only allowed to access the default location of Dropbox. We're working on an update to allow you to grant explicit permission to 1Password to access your Dropbox folder elsewhere, but I don't have a timeframe on this.

The simplest solution is to just make sure that your Dropbox folder is in that default location in your Home folder.

If you need a temporary workaround, you can use 1Password 3.8 which does not adhere to Apple's sandboxing guidelines and can thus access your data file from anywhere on your disk regardless of where your Dropbox folder is located.

Since you already purchased 1Password on the Mac App Store, you can email us your Mac App Store receipt. We'd be happy to provide you with a 3.8 license key.

support@ agilebits .com

You can download 1Password 3.8 from our website:

http://agilebits.com/downloads

Aside from sandboxing, there are not really any substantial differences. Most users never run into this problem as they use the default Dropbox folder location, but in your case "sidegrading" to 3.8 is an option. It is not a downgrade. 1Password 3.8 and 3.9 have been developed in tandem and only have different version numbers for technical reasons.

• julio09
    julio09
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answer khad. That's what I figured out, I placed my Dropbox folder on its default location and the Dopbox sync button was available again.

Hope you can have it fixed in future App Store versions, I'll send you an email later, thanks for the offer :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. We'll look forward to that email. :)

This discussion has been closed.