We need the switch to disable Markdown in the browser extensions as done in desktop and mobile apps

Options

Hello

When I started using 1Password some months ago I was planning to use Markdown in my secure notes. I discovered fast that it was not supported on the web at 1password.com and decided then to just use plain text on all my secure notes to get a uniform experience across all platforms.

Fast forward some months. After having more than 1000 entries in 1Password and having to use more the Chrome browser extension, I am facing big challenges because the extension doesn't have the same switch to turn off the use of Markdown that the macOS app and the iOS app have under Settings > General "Format secure notes using Markdown". This means that the formatting of a huge number of my secure notes is completely screwed when I am using the 1Password Chrome browser extension because my notes are written in plain text without thinking at all in Markdown (as I have disabled its use).

I have been searching the forums for information about this and have found threads like this one dating back to 2021 related to the same issue:
https://1password.community/discussion/125554/turn-off-markdown-in-chrome-firefox-extensions-how

How is it that after all this time this useful switch to disable Markdown on the browser extensions isn't yet present?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)
Browser:_ Chrome 113.0.5672.63

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Thorz! 👋

You're correct that there isn't currently an option to turn off markdown formatting for 1Password in the browser like there is for the mobile and desktop apps. I've passed along your request that we add this feature to the browser extension to the product team. Thank you for the feedback! 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#1190

• azhomeuser
    azhomeuser
    Community Member
    Options

Can this please be fixed? I have password-like data stored in secure notes -- thus there's no way to avoid using special markdown characters -- and this makes those secure-notes completely useless in the browser extensions.

I'm really confused as to why this is so difficult to implement: a) It's already an option in the desktop app (so someone there knows how to do this) and b) it's not a request for a feature, so much as it is for a non-feature (i.e. just leave the plain text alone).

• Hey @azhomeuser,

I can totally understand where you are coming from and I have passed your feedback on to the team regarding this.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: dev/core/core#1190

• asiu
    asiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Any update on this please?

We are evaluating rolling out 1Password to a bigger user community. We ran into similar issues when there were asterisks in the Secure Notes imported from the other enterprise password manager that we are currently using.

Turning off Markdown seems to work in the App, but that is not configurable for browser extensions (Chrome and Firefox tested so far).

Thanks.

• Hey @asiu,

I'm afraid I am unable to provide an update on this feature at this time but I have passed your feedback on to our product team for consideration.

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to store the information in a custom field instead:

Customize your 1Password items.

I hope this helps, thank you for your patience.

ref: PB34676891

• asiu
    asiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles thanks for forwarding the issue to the product team.

Like I said, it happened after a bulk import from other password manager. It is impractical for us to go through each of the imported note and manually put in the workaround. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Thank you for getting back to me @asiu, I'm sorry for the trouble.

Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.