Keychain and passkeys when using 1Password for iOS

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is it possible for 1Password and keychain to sync.

Comments

• PaulvSchaik
    PaulvSchaik
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I just came across this post..

The reason to use both (for me) is that I have to enable iCloud Keychain for Passkey's to work. Now I have 2 options (or maybe I'm missing something)
    1. Don't use Passkey
    2. Have 2 autofill prompts in Safari and I don't like this option.

We use 1Password in our company so I have to use it, but I also like Keychain and Passkey, so for now I disabled the 1Password auto-prompt in the Safari plugin.

• @PaulvSchaik

Thank you for the feedback. Support for storing and filling passkeys using 1Password is coming in the future once iOS 17 is released: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming

Once this support is released you'll be able to use 1Password to store and manage your passkeys rather than using Keychain. 🙂

-Dave

• PaulvSchaik
    PaulvSchaik
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Yes I know, I have the beta where passkey is present. But it still requires me to enable iCloud passwords for it to work. Maybe something is not finished in the beta for this to work properly.

• @PaulvSchaik

It sounds like you're saving and filling passkeys using Keychain on your iOS device, not 1Password. Saving and signing in with passkeys stored in 1Password is currently only available with the beta version of the 1Password extension for supported desktop browsers, not mobile platforms. Support for saving and using passkeys in 1Password on mobile devices is still in development and will be included in a future update.

-Dave

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@PaulvSchaik , I noticed with a recent update to 1Password beta for desktop that a “globe” icon was added, which allows you to swap to using iCloud passkey for that login. It’s much appreciated!

• @nimvio

Thank you for the positive feedback! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.