1Password Safari Extension Fingerprint Unlock Not Working!

Options
Joelc
Joelc
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am running the following:

• macOS 13.5
  • 1Password for Mac 8.10.12
  • 1Password Safari Extension 2.13.0

Although the Fingerprint ID is working to unlock teh macOS application, the Fingerprint ID is not working to unlock the 1Password Safari extension; specifically, and more to the point, when I click on teh 1Password Safari extension the request for a fingerprint does not appear (i.e., the only method of unlocking the 1Password Safari extension is via the !Passowrd).

Please help me fix this.

Thank you!

_1Password Version: 8.10.12
_Extension Version: 2.13.0
_OS Version: macOS 13.5
_Browser: Safari

Comments

• wrox
    wrox
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. I assumed it was because I installed the macOS 14 (Sonoma) beta, but given Joelc's setup, that may not be the case.

Clicking on either the in-field icon or the icon in Safari's toolbar to bring up the widget does not ask (or offer) the ability to use fingerprint. However, opening the main app (or using the icon in the menu bar) does show the fingerprint, and once unlocked there, the widget is also unlocked.

1Password for Mac 8.10.10 (81010014)
    macOS Sonoma 14.0 (beta 2)
    Browser: Safari

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@wrox: Good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

@1passwordsupport : Please provide a response / solution.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@1passwordsupport and @ag_tommy , I did a little earlier today and discovered that the problem is related to the version of 1Password that is installed; specifically:

1. 1Password Production --> Safari Extension fingerprint unlock IS presented and works

2. 1Password Beta or Nightly --> Safari Extension fingerprint unlock IS NOT presented

Is there any way to get this working for the Beta / Nightly Build or am I stuck on Production builds to the extent that I want the fingerprint unlock capability?

Thanks and look forward to a response and, hopefully, a solution!

• Hey @Joelc, @wrox,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser may be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. Can you send over the following reports so we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• wrox
    wrox
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @steph.giles

Sent in the files requested. The Support ID sent to me is [#TXB-53466-162].

Thanks!
    Kevin

• Thanks @wrox, I have located your support ticket and a member of the team will be in touch soon.

ref: TXB-53466-162

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@wrox , appreciate you beating me to it, been one hell of a work week. I look forward to the fix / response and hope that it works for me too!

@steph.giles , please let me know whether you want me to send the files as well. Thank you!

• Hey @Joelc,

If you could send the files as well that would be great, thank you in advance!

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles

Sent in the files requested. The Support ID sent to me is [#PNY-66967-699].

Thanks!

Joel

• @Joelc

It is here and with the correct team. Someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

ref: PNY-66967-699

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy , appreciate you confirming that you received the files and that someone will be in touch shortly! I look forward to getting this problem fixed, very annoying!

• You're welcome @Joelc, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with in the meantime.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy and @steph.giles

Good evening.

Kindly note:

1. I followed your instructions that were provided to me step-by-step.

2. The account(s) signed in the desktop app were added back in the browser automatically! Good news! 😊

3. The problem remained! The problem was NOT fixed! Bad News! ☹

4. While I defer to tech support, I believe the problem is related to differences between the Production Build (where this problem does not exist) and the Beta Build (where this problem does exists)!

Thanks and look forward to next steps in solving this problem!

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Came to find out of this had already been reported with the most current browser extensions. For the record, it is not just Safari's extension. This is happening with Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi, and Firefox (for me) since the extensions were all updated overnight. None of them are prompting for TouchID on my Mac. For me, Safari is the only browser that actually IS behaving properly with TouchID prompts.

All of the extensions for the other browsers say "Problems connecting", show a yellow circle/dot, and say to "Please ensure the 1Password app is unlocked" (which it is).

Edit: After trying all of the usual things (reboot, toggling the integration options off/on with full exit/re-launch of the app and browsers between) - none of which worked - I fully uninstalled the extension in Brave and reinstalled it (fully expecting it to still be broken), however it is showing that it's connected to the app again. I'm not sure what it did differently than the extension's update process or toggling the integration option off/on, but it seems to have worked (for Brave, at least). I will be trying the same with the rest of the browsers to see if the pairing issue resolves.

Edit 2: The same uninstall/reinstall process fixed Firefox and the rest of the browsers.

• wrox
    wrox
    Community Member
    Options

To echo @SyberCorp, I found the same solution. I followed the instructions I got from support with no resolution, but uninstalling 1Password for Safari and reinstalling it fixed the issue.

Something definitely gets out of sync, but that's above my pay grade to understand or figure out.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that there is still a noteable lag (5 seconds or more) from when the fingerprint is accepted and the little icon in the username field shows that 1P is unlocked, and then offers my login details. But that seems to have been a persistent lag for a while now (and is probably talked about in another thread, so I guess forget I mention it here).

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is now solved for me...here are the instructions I got from 1 Password!

Before we go further, let's make sure you can sign into 1Password.com with all your accounts and see the data saved there.
    Then, let's try the following steps to remove 1Password:
    1. Quit 1Password 8 desktop app by right-clicking (two-finger click) the 1Password icon in the top menu bar (where the clock is) and selecting "Quit", as shown below:
    o
    2. Quit the browser by right-clicking its icon in the Dock area and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open Finder and go to the Applications Folder.
    4. Find the 1Password.app & 1Password for Safari.app. Move them to Trash, and empty the Trash.
    Then, let's follow the steps in the following support article to remove your local 1Password data:
    • Remove your 1Password data
    Next, let's reinstall 1Password 8 for Mac:
    • Best Password Manager for macOS & Safari
    After signing into the app, let's change the channel to beta:
    • Use 1Password beta releases
    Then, let's unlock the 1Password beta app by manually typing your account password and leave it running in the background.
    Finally, let's download and enable 1Password for Safari:
    • 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    Options

@Joelc That seems a little exteme. Did you at least try the steps I listed above first (just removing the extensions and reinstalling them), before fully uninstalling the app and installing a beta version (that could very well have other issues)?

This discussion has been closed.