Remove a user from a family account and create a new individual account

Options
Makrien
Makrien
Community Member

I am looking to create a family membership plan but have questions. What if I buy a family plan now, invite my wife and children via their email address (e.g. Mail A) and the children later become adults and want to detach themselves from the family plan and have their own account? In article https://support.1password.com/add-remove-family-members/ I read that after permanently deleting a family member, they no longer log in to 1Password and lose all items in their private vault. After deletion, the children can open a new individual account with the same email address (Mail A) as described in article https://1password.community/discussion/136834/removing-a-user-from-a-family-account ? Or does a new e-mail address (Mail B) have to be opened for the new individual account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_josephine
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @Makrien,

If, when they are adults, they would like their own account they would be able to create this new account (which can be associated with the same email address as the potential existing account), once created, they can then add both accounts to the 1Password app on a single device and move the data from one account to the other.

1. Add new account to the 1Password apps on all applicable devices.

2. In the 1Password app on one device, move the items from the original family account into the new account.

3. Sign in to the individual account on 1Password.com to make sure all your items are there.

Once done, they can request the family organizer delete them from the family account.

• Makrien
    Makrien
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_josephine,
    Thank you for your answer and the steps above.
    I'm pleasantly surprised that both accounts (with the same email address, one with the Family plan account and the other with the potential later new individual account) are logged into the 1Password app at the same time and the data is migrated to the new individual account can be moved and new additional e-mail addresses do not have to be created.
    But I can't exactly follow what you said at the end. You describe that when all data has been moved from the old vault to the new vault, the family organizer deletes the old account from the family plan. Described here. Correctly? So far everything is fine. However, after that mention, when all the data has been moved and the old account is no longer needed, the individual account can be deleted. (?) The new individual account was just created for use. I am assuming you mean the Family Plan account and not the new potential individual account. From my point of view, there is no longer a need to delete an "old" account, because it has already been deleted by the family organizer (see above). Or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

• Makrien
    Makrien
    Community Member
    Options

Hello 1Password Community
    I'm seriously considering becoming a 1Password customer and purchasing the family plan, but I'd like you to elaborate a bit on your steps as I can't follow them exactly. If, as described in step 1, the newly created account with the same email address but with an Individual plan is added to the potentially existing 1Password account from the Family plan and, according to Step 2, the data is moved from the Family plan account to the new individual account and according to step 3 the data in the individual account has been verified, then the family organizer can delete the account in the family plan. Why is it mentioned at the end that the individual account can be deleted? Does this mean that the individual account, still added to the account, should be removed from the Family Plan (Step 1) before the family organizer deletes it from the Family Plan? Regards

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Makrien

Why is it mentioned at the end that the individual account can be deleted?

I guess this is an accidental leftover from copy+paste the workflow. This sentence is the last step if you migrate your data from a standalone account to a member account of a family - that's the other way round. But of course not the last step if you migrate your data from a member account of a family to a standalone account. The new standalone account, where all data was moved into, must not be deleted of course, since this is the new and only account of yours with all your items.

• Sorry @Makrien,

I've removed that bit of information above as it did not seem to fit the context of the discussion.

Thanks @Tertius3

This discussion has been closed.