Setup code does not work in dark mode

Options
fritzophrenic
fritzophrenic
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Android

Hi, today I had to re-install 1Password on my Windows laptop. After trying for a long time to get the camera to scan the QR code from my phone, turning off lights, moving around to reduce reflection, etc. I finally had the idea to disable "dark mode" on my Android system settings to force the QR code to be black on white instead of white on black. It scanned immediately!
Thinking back, I had the same problem when trying to help my wife upgrade to 1Password 8 on her phone a while back. It just refused to scan the dark-mode QR code in her Android phone as well! We ended up manually entering the security code that time, we never got the QR code to work.
I found this related issue from 1Password 7 on Android: https://1password.community/discussion/108405/setup-code-does-not-work-in-dark-mode

Was this never fixed? Or did did this have a regression in 1Password 8? Can it be fixed so that hopefully it "just works" next time I need to set up a new device? The key issue seems to be that QR codes aren't detected when the colors are inverted.

1Password Version: 8.10.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi @fritzophrenic, thanks for writing in! I'm sorry for the Setup Code scanning trouble.

We are aware that the Setup Code in 1Password for Android can be difficult or impossible for some devices to scan when the app is in dark mode. While I don't have any specifics to share regarding when it will be available, we do have some changes on the way to help resolve this issue.

The issue you referenced in the other thread is looking at this from the other end. The scenario detailed was that 1Password 7 for Android was having difficulty scanning a Setup Code on 1Password.com when a third party extension was used to put the browser into dark mode.

Let us know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.