Passkeys not working on PayPal, Keycloak, and Ebay

Options
tonkku107
tonkku107
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I started going through some websites and testing the new beta extension as soon as I got the email and came across 2 sites where the passkey creation prompt did not appear.
These were:

• PayPal (got stuck in "finding your security key...")
  • An instance of Keycloak

With the extension disabled these show the browser setup flow as expected.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: Linux 6.3.5-arch1-1
Browser:_ Google Chrome Beta 115

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Paypal didn't work for me as well. Same symptom.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

PayPal and eBay for me.

• razeth
    razeth
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue with firefox

• ollyhal
    ollyhal
    Community Member
    Options

eBay works, in Paypal I cannot find the setting to activate passkey on their website

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Note that PayPal passkey support was originally limited to the U.S. (and might still not be available in your country):

PayPal passkeys will start rolling out today to customers in the U.S.. PayPal passkeys will become available in additional countries early in 2023, and on additional technology platforms as they add support for passkeys.

Source: PayPal

• ollyhal
    ollyhal
    Community Member
    Options

yeah you might be right - I´m in Germany

• lcvleo
    lcvleo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm facing the same problema at PayPal and Zoho.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings, I'm a USA based user, and I see nothing on eBay or PayPal about passkeys. eBay level 1 support told me today in a chat they are not implemented, and they don't have a date for them. PayPal I have sent a message to support, I'm waiting to hear from them. I think the directory of passkey-enabled sites from 1Password is wrong, maybe that's based on their perception as developers, but it's totally different for retail users.

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    Options

Ebay - i got mine working. :) :) However, I did have to FIRST remove the existing Fingerprint/Pin login method. (i think this was somehow the same PKC as fido2 method but done directly via windows hello being called by the browser, not using 1P.)
    After turning it off. i then logged out and turned it back on, 1P asked to saved the Passkey. all good and working on login.
    F-ING fantastic actually !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    Options

OK, DUMB QUESTION Incoming.... i cannot believe the day has arrived where i ask this...
    Can I turn off 2FA /MFA if i am now using a passkey? 🙋‍♂️
    I leave it on for 1P itself, but isnt the passkey tied to my devices because 1P is tied to my existing devices. Ie ebay does not have to be concerned about a new device logging in, because its relying on 1P 's trust network of my devices now?
    Fascinating, the future is!

• rallyn1password
    rallyn1password
    Community Member
    Options

My eBay account does not show the Face/fingerprint/PIN sign in option, so I seem to be out of luck. Any insights? Microsoft account did not list passkey as an option either, just their own Authenticator app

• Smigit
    Smigit
    Community Member
    Options

Microsoft account did not list passkey as an option either

Which browser did you try? For me Microsoft didn’t list secure keys when using Safari, but did for Chromium (in my case Brave) and I think Firefox.

There’s a few services where setup is worth attempting in another browser if your primary browser fails for whatever reason.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding PayPal. I did a search on DDG for "paypal passkey" and the first hit was this help article: What are PayPal Passkeys? which explains a lot. Note that if PayPal changes the /us/ part of the URL to your local language, it will probably show article not found, at least it did for me when it automatically switched to /se/.

According to the article you have to configure a passkey from a mobile device and you do that during the login process. There's also a paragraph about current platform support.

Which technology providers support Passkeys?

Today passkeys are supported by Safari and Chrome web browsers on Apple devices running iOS 16, iPadOS 16 macOS Ventura, and google devices running Android 9+. Passkeys are not supported on web views and windows devices. On a Windows device, the user will have to use a password or SMS OTP as a way to log in.

Before I found that article, I poked around in my account and found a setting under Security > 2-step verification > Add a device, where there was a single option called Use a security key. But when I clicked on it, it just says Finding your security key, as it did for @tonkku107. Since the "add security key" method isn't mentioned in the article above I'm guessing it's to be used with a physical FIDO key.

There's also a long thread about this in their community forum.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Also tried to add a passkey to PayPal.

Instead of adding the passkey PayPal deleted all existing 2FA factors... (TOTP and YubiKey)

So be careful!

(after a lot of trouble I was able to setup 2FA again, but not the YubiKey or a passkey)

• Katya
    Katya
    Community Member
    Options

Don't remember where on the PayPal site I found it, but I did find a note that passkeys aren't available for business accounts yet, just personal accounts. That may also be what's behind the problem some people are having with creating a passkey with PayPal.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Goldfinger

Ebay - i got mine working. :) :) However, I did have to FIRST remove the existing Fingerprint/Pin login method. (i think this was somehow the same PKC as fido2 method but done directly via windows hello being called by the browser, not using 1P.)
    After turning it off. i then logged out and turned it back on, 1P asked to saved the Passkey. all good and working on login.
    F-ING fantastic actually !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see this on mine. I don't have a PIN or anything either. I tried to look, but it wanted me the verify myself with a text all the time. i got fed up and signed out.

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    Options

its at https://accounts.ebay.com/acctsec/security-center

Perhaps this should be turned off:

then turn this off:

then back on, which should create the passkey

keep trying. it is amazing actually!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Goldfinger I don't see any of that at all.

• rallyn1password
    rallyn1password
    Community Member
    Options

@Goldfinger +1 here, same as I see in Firefox on MacOS. I get the feeling I will have to wait until this is more widely available.

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi, @rallyn1password @prime

The new support instructions say:
    Click the link and sign in with your email address and password, then click "Turn on" in the "Face/fingerprint/PIN sign in" section (directly below social sign in , it should appear) and follow their steps to create a passkey.

Sign out, then sign back in. 1Password will sign in with your passkey automatically.

This link:
    https://accounts.ebay.com/acctsec/security-center

It's possible that my own screenshot is different, because I had already activated my passkey....

Note: It's USA only so far.

Lmk.
    Goldfinger

• rallyn1password
    rallyn1password
    Community Member
    Options

I meant to say I see the same thing as @Prime. I have only password set and do not have the "Face/fingerprint/PIN" option. As mentioned, I will hold off until this has wider support, and iOS app support as well.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

I also get stuck at the "Finding your security key..." step in PayPal.

• Zayatoshi
    Zayatoshi
    Community Member
    Options

Hello.
    Yes I have exactly the same problem. With the few sites authorizing passkeys (paypal / google...), it is almost impossible to integrate them into 1password Beta 8.10.16. 1password crash. AND with the official version, the integration of a passkey under IOS 17 only offers the iCloud keychain.

• Jacrys
    Jacrys
    Community Member
    Options

On Android's PayPal app and website (in Chrome), 1Password does not intercept the passkey URI. Instead, it passes to the system handler and gets created in my Google account.

• butlersw3
    butlersw3
    Community Member
    Options

It appears you can only create Passkeys for PayPal from a mobile device, so I tried on my Android using the App and had the same experience as @Jacrys. The Passkey definitely gets created, but is stored in my Google account.

• Haulien
    Haulien
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

As with others, same predicament.

Chrome Desktop gives A passkey can’t be created on this device or browser. To see what’s supported, visit our FAQ.. Alright, paypal won't support desktop browsers, I'll try my mobile devices...

Tried on my android with Chrome, and as above, passkey gets created but is stored in my Google account, not intercepted by 1Password. Maybe we'll have better luck on an Apple device....

Tried on my iPad (running iPadOS17), and using either Safari or Chrome (both of which paypal say are supported...) I get the same error as Chrome on desktop. PayPal doesn't like that either...

Edit 1: There is a bit of a hackey way around it. You can set your desktop browser's useragent to an iOS device and you can set the passkey (and save it in 1password) that way. However paypal doesn't seem to support passkey logins on desktop at the moment (even with the useragent set to iOS).

Edit 2: Trying to login to an iOS device using the passkey added via the above method, paypal (or the iPad? can't tell) just says that there isn't any passkeys for paypal.com found in 1password.

This discussion has been closed.