2FA backup codes

Options
ap236
ap236
Community Member

Hi new customer. Just finished setting things up and getting my passwords imported. But when I was setting up 2FA I wasn't given any backup codes and I can't find any.

Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

There's no option to use backup codes for your 1Password account 2FA, and they've stated previously there is no intention to add them unfortunately.

What you can do instead is, at the time you set up your 2FA via the TOTP QR code, print or save that QR code itself (or scan it into multiple authenticator apps).

I would recommend storing it separate from your Emergency Kit, but in a location that is equally safe/secure.

If the 2FA QR code is no longer on your screen and you want to do this, you will need to disable 2FA and re-enable it (noting that any places you scanned your old QR code in, need to be updated).

If you are completely locked out of 2FA, you can contact support. After verifying you through some specific details that only the account holder would know, they reset 2FA on your account.
    This of course does not help if you are dead and you wanted your family to be able to log into your 1Password, in which case you would need to not have 2FA on your account, or do like the above and have the 2FA QR code stored safely.

• alicezinha
    alicezinha
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Right now there is no option to use backup codes for 1Password 2FA but who knows in the future right? If you're still curious about 2FA you can try reading this

• Hi there @ap236

As others have stated here, we don't use recovery codes for two-factor authentication on your 1Password account.

This is at least in part because a recovery code is functionally no different from a password, since it will have been generated when you set up two-factor authentication, and saved somewhere. The nature of one-time passwords generated by an authenticator app is that they can't be predicted because they are time-bound to when they're generated and used.

You can turn off two-factor authentication on your 1Password account from any of your devices where you're still signed in to 1Password, so in the event that you lose access to your authenticator app and/or hardware security key, you can turn two-factor authentication off and turn it back on to set it up again.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.