Extension is working unreliably in Safari 17 Beta

Options
P4sca1
P4sca1
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I tried the Safari 17 Beta on MacOS Ventura, especially the new profiles feature.
I added different profiles for personal, work, and university. For each profile, I was able to configure the 1Password extension to use different vaults, and a different default vault. This is a great new feature!
Since the upgrade, the extension in Safari is often locked, even though the 1Password app is unlocked. Clicking on the 1Password browser icon, reveals a window with a button "Open 1Password", which has no effect on click. After a lot of tries, the extension sometimes gets unlocked and autofill is working. Universal autofill is always working fine.

1Password Version: 8.10.9 (81009046)
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I know this is beta software, and I am not expecting everything to work right away with new prerelease versions.
    I hope this bug report can be reproduced by the team, so that they can provide a stable version, once Safari 17 comes out this fall.
    That being said, I really enjoy all the effort put into 1Password 8. Keep up the great work! :)

• Hey @P4sca1,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser might be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. If you follow the steps below do things then work as expected:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

If the issue persists I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so we can take a closer look at what is happening:

Please attach theses reports to an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, thank you for the reply! For now, the issue is gone. I will post another reply here, if the issue arises again.

• Thanks for the update @P4sca1.

I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still having the same issues with Safari 17 and 1Password. When restarting 1Password and Safari, it works fine, but the problems start to occur again after some time. In addition to the issues already reported, I experienced a problem today: clicking on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar would open a new tab with no content.

• AndyQ
    AndyQ
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having issues with Safari 17 (and the op cli) all seeming to lose connectivity with the main 1Password app (beta channel).

I can resolve it but its a pain and doesn't fix it for very long.

My steps to temporarily fix are:
    1. restart 1Password app (this generally resolves the issue with op cli not being able to communicate)
    2. In Safari, right click on 1Password icon, select settings and disable browser integration
    3. Restart Safari
    4. In Safari, right click on 1Password icon, select settings and re-enable browser integration

All tends to work for another few hours or so.

Really hoping this actually gets fixed once OSX 14 is officially released!

• @P4sca1 and @AndyQ

The next time that the issue occurs, please send over a console log from your browser and a diagnostics report from your Mac so that the team can investigate further:

Attach the console log and the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• AndyQ
    AndyQ
    Community Member
    Options

Have just submitted a browser and app diagnostics report - didn't receive automated email reply though.

• @AndyQ

Thank you, I've located your email and one of my colleagues will get back to you via email as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: QUZ-26569-169

• bed
    bed
    Community Member
    Options

I am currently using the latest beta for both macOS app and Safari extension with Safari 17 beta. Im running Safari 17 in two ways, one as the beta download on my MBP which is still running Ventura, the other on my iMac which is on the Sonoma RC. The behavoir in 1PW is the same for me on both machines.

Things are usually great on a fresh boot of everything in a Personal tab, but as soon as I use multiple Safari Profiles, things break very quickly. Trying to unlock within Safari can go hey wire, with the focus jumping from the browser to the app and back again, things flickering like crazy and just stuck in a loop. I suspect the 1PW app keeps crashing during this process.

I've sent a support email with console and diagnostic logs suggested above to help.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Hey @bed,

Just closing the loop as I see we are troubleshooting this over email, I hope we can get things back on track soon!

ref: TIH-57455-245

• bed
    bed
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, with the Sonoma RC and latest 1PW updates things have been better, certainly hard to replicate on demand with a video! 🤞🏼

• Thanks for the update @bed, I hope things are smooth sailing from here on.

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    Options

I am still experiencing issues with the Safari extension in latest MacOS Sonoma on an Intel MBP. I have send an email including console logs and a diagnostics report.

• Hey @P4sca1,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble. Do you have a support ID you can share here so I can close the loop?

Thank you!

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is 180935. I already got an answer and provided more information.

For the others: I am facing 3 different issues with 1Password:
    1. Unlocking 1Password results in multiple focus changes to and from Safari (maybe 1 focus change per account / vault but that is just a wild guess)
    2. Unlocking 1Password takes a few seconds until the change is reflected in the browser extension. This used to be nearly instant.
    3. Inline suggestions are not working. Clicking on the inline icon has no effect. (universal autofill works flawlessly and is very fast).

• @P4sca1

Thank you for posting the Support ID. The team will send you another reply via email as soon as possible. Since we have a communications channel open with the support ticket, I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of efforts.

-Dave

ref: ZD-180935

This discussion has been closed.