Programmatically updating passwords

Options

Does anyone know of a way to programmatically update a password? I have some systems that change passwords every 24 hours. The passwords are used more like tokens and I can retrieve them via a api. Is it possible to update a password via a automated script?

Comments

• Hi Moneal,

Considering that each site has a different password system and/or different APIs, that's virtually impossible to program without knowing in advance what this is for.

Are you able to update the password through the APIs? It would be a major security risk if you could. If you could, you could do it with any programming language.

I'm not sure what you're asking from us, though. Can you give us more details about your questions?

Thanks!

• moneal
    moneal
    Community Member
    Options

Lets say I can get the days password by fetching a remote url at http://api.example.com/todaysPassword. This returns a plain text string of "1234abcd" I would like to update the record in 1Password for login.example.com. The field name would be named "password" for that record. Most of my team uses 1Password and it would save us all time each day looking up this information. If the desktop client had some easy way for us to update a record it would be awesome.

• Ah, now I understand what you mean.

Unfortunately, that's not feasible, we intentionally secure all paths into the main 1Password app and won't allow any outsiders to access or modify the data. We're working on more encryption techniques against this type of modifications in the next version of 1Password, so it's going to be even less possible in the future.

What could be possible is that in the future, we may support URL schemes, so that you could do something like onepassword://search/login.example.com, which opens up the item in the 1Password app directly to edit/paste in the password. You'd use a script to curl the content of that page holding today's password and set it to your clipboard before opening with this URL scheme.

We'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member
    Options

What could be possible is that in the future, we may support URL schemes, so that you could do something like onepassword://search/login.example.com, which opens up the item in the 1Password app directly to edit/paste in the password.

Let me +1 this idea. I use Launchbar for almost everything on my Mac, but I dont find the current 1Password Launchbar integration particularly useful, especially in regards to non-web-login items.

I really wish there was a URL-scheme I could call to trigger a section-specific (or global) search of my 1Password database for any particular item.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the vote, melorama! I'll pass your feedback along to the developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.