reinstallation of 1PW7 v7.9.12 fails

Options
natashadak
natashadak
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

1Password v: 7.9.12
browser: safari

1PW has stopped working -- the initial splash screen would appear, then blink out.
I followed instructions to delete and reinstall:
1 Quit safari
2 Quit 1PW completely
3 Trash 1PW app
4 Empty trash
5 Restart
6 Download new version (7.9.12)
After the above, trying to install yields a "The installation failed" message.
1PW working OK on other devices.
Ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @natashadak! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with 1Password 7. There was an issue with version 7.9.12 and our developers have pulled the update. To revert back to a working version of 7.9.11 please follow these steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. If you see the 1Password icon in your macOS menu bar, hold down the Control (⌃) and Option (⌥) keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the previous version of 1Password 7 from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

That being said, with the release of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 going forward: Upgrade to 1Password 8

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• natashadak
    natashadak
    Community Member
    Options

Downloaded v 7.9.11, installation results = no change.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@natashadak

I'm sorry that you're still running into trouble. There was an issue a while back where the 1Password 7 installer would say that the installation had failed when, in reality, it had succeeded. Can you check if you see the 1Password app in your Applications folder?

If you don't see 1Password in your Applications folder then check to see if you've given the installer the appropriate permissions:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Settings (this might be called System Preferences on older versions of macOS).
    3. Click Privacy & Security.
    4. Click Files and Folders.
    5. Expand "Installer" and make sure that "Downloads folder" is turned on.

Then try to install the app again.

-Dave

• natashadak
    natashadak
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

1Password is not listed under Applications.
    I may be missing the obvious but I don't see "Installer" listed within < Files and Folders>.

• @natashadak

Can you try the suggestion that another user posted, it might work for you as well: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/582365/#Comment_582365

-Dave

• natashadak
    natashadak
    Community Member
    Options

First — thanks for your persistence; I fear the root of the problem is me …

The installer package is on my desktop (1Password-7.9.11.pkg)

I’ve gone to apple menu>system settings>privacy and security>full disc access and clicked “+”, then navigated to the .pkg file on my desktop but cannot grant it access because it is grayed-out.

A silly question perhaps — previous instructions council against using a third party uninstaller (I’ve got a rarely use copy of CleanMyMac). Is using that something to consider under the circumstances? I have 1PW7 on another computer and on an iPhone, so I assume any data lost during the uninstallation would be preserved and available to a clean installation.

I’ve created a log file and sent it to support@agilebits.com; I included my user name and a link to this topic — that will help I hope.

THX

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@natashadak

Thanks for the reply. I would recommend against using an app cleaner since I've seen them cause issues in the past. Ideally the best move would be to upgrade to 1Password 8 since we're limited in the assistance that we can provide for 1Password 7, which is no longer supported.

That being said, I've located your support ticket and I see that my colleague has responded with some good suggestions that I suggest trying as well. Please continue the conversation there. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IKP-99487-888

This discussion has been closed.