Modifying userChrome.css can cause problems for 1Password

Options
Matt R
Matt R
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the Ctrl+\ shortcut to login on any website with Firefox. I'm not sure when it started, but I first noticed it with Firefox 19.0.2 and the previous version of 1Password. Once I noticed, I force updates for both, now running Firefox 20 and 1Password 1.0.9.327.

When I use the shortcut, there is a approx. 1 second delay before the 1Password addon window pops up - it always used to be instant, not sure if this is significant. It correctly identifies the login for the website but does not fill in the fields. If I click on the entry, nothing happens - the addon window disappears and the fields remain blank.

I've tried reinstalling the addon for Firefox, changing the shortcut and multiple websites. I have noticed though that the shortcut works fine in Chrome. Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me!

EDIT: Just tried creating a new profile in Firefox and it seems to work correctly. Not an ideal solution though, really don't want to have to set up a whole new profile if I can avoid it!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up with that edit. As far as I know there are no known issues like the one you are describing. It sounds like some kind of corruption, too many extensions slowing things down, or some other voodoo in your old Firefox profile.

I'd be interested to know if the problem recurs in the new profile. You can sync your data into the new profile using Firefox Sync to make the transition a breeze.

• Matt R
    Matt R
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

I created a new profile and synced all my info across as suggested, and the add-on worked fine. I then remembered I'd added a command to the userChrome.css to prevent Firefox's add-on bar from constantly reappearing, so I copied the file across to the new profile - which promptly broke the 1Password add-on again. Removing the userChrome.css file fixed my issue.

I can't remember what was causing the add-on bar to re-appear all the time, but I have a sinking feeling that it was the 1Password add-on. Hopefully I won't have the same problem again, and the add-on bar stays banished this time.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Could you tell me what it was you added to userChrome.css?

• Matt R
    Matt R
    Community Member
    Options

#addon-bar { display: none !important; }

I haven't the foggiest idea what it does or how it works so not surprised it eventually broke something, I found it online somewhere. It's worked for me up until now but so far I haven't had any further problems with the add-on bar re-appearing, so perhaps that bug has been squashed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know. We'll keep an eye on this in case it comes up for another user. Much appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.