Tapping the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard does nothing

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: AutoFill issues.

Comments

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Same issue here since the last update. The 1Password screen doesn’t appear when accessed using the iOS Autofill, but seemingly only on system login prompts.

The Safari extension, and Autofill in Safari, works without issue. I’ve tried the steps suggested, with only a reinstall of the app remaining as an option.

Thanks.

• @onepassname

I'm sorry that you're also running into trouble with AutoFill. In general, iOS AutoFill isn't available in system prompts, if you tap on the username/password field in a system prompt then do you see the "Passwords" prompt appear above the keyboard?

Does AutoFill work in other apps in addition to Safari? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Yes, if I tap in the user/pass field in a login prompt, I get the Passwords option at the top of the keyboard. I was able to call 1Password from here to autofill - now, tapping on the Password option does nothing.

Autofill currently only works in Safari, and only filling pages (not prompts).

Edit: just tried reinstalling the app. No change.

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I’m now having intermittent issues with the 1Password Safari extension “unable to communicate with the app” and Autofill not functioning at all.

Edit: I read in another thread answered by Dave that clearing the Safari cache / history can help. It sure did. For anyone else: turn off autofill, turn off extension, wipe all history / cache data, force quit Safari, turn on autofill and extension.

Thanks @Dave_1P

• @onepassname

I'm happy that you were able to resolve the 1Password for Safari issue.

Yes, if I tap in the user/pass field in a login prompt, I get the Passwords option at the top of the keyboard. I was able to call 1Password from here to autofill - now, tapping on the Password option does nothing.

This sounds like a new behaviour since you previously said that you were able to use AutoFill in Safari. Is tapping a username field on a website in Safari, then tapping the "Passwords" prompt not working anymore in Safari as well?

When you tap on the "Passwords" prompt above your keyboard does the prompt just stay there as if you hadn't tapped it at all? Or does a different screen appear? To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Here is a screenshot from the Remote Desktop app. Tapping the Passwords prompt at the top of the keyboard would do nothing. Normally the 1P modal would appear and I could pick the login details.

Clearing the Safari cache appears to have fixed this (which seems weird - I don’t understand how Autofill issues across the OS would be fixed by clearing the cache).

Thanks.

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Looks like the issue has reemerged.

It appears to be a comms issue between iOS and the 1Password app, and it affects autofill and the 1Password extension at the same time. Looks like others are experiencing the same issue in this forum:

https://1password.community/discussion/143383/cant-bring-up-1pw-for-some-ios-system-prompts

Thanks.

Edit: … and can confirm that clearing Safari history / cache fixes the issue. Very weird.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@onepassname

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry for the continued trouble. The thread that you linked to does't seem related since it involves iOS system prompts that AutoFill doesn't allow 1Password to fill into.

Regarding the issue that you reported, I am seeing a few other similar reports from customers. Would you mind trying to reinstall the app? That appears to have helped some folks. Try these steps:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Verify that you can see all of your items in the browser.
    3. Download and save the Emergency Kit for your account: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    4. Reset the 1Password app on your iPhone: How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

Add your account back to the app and then try to fill a login. Let me know if the issue occurs again and I can help further.

-Dave

ref: cst3/-/issues/185

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried reinstalling the app with no success - clearing the Safari cache is still the temporary fix for the issue. I mentioned in my first post that autofill wasn’t working for system prompts, just like the thread I linked to. I’ve always been able to autofill into system prompts using 1Password.

I noted the issues with the browser extension, as it appears to be connected (a communication failure between iOS and the 1Password app).

Thanks.

• @onepassname

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure how clearing the Safari cache would affect the functioning of iOS AutoFill in another app, the two shouldn't be related. That being said, this is something that we'd like to look into further.

To help us investigate, the next time that the issue occurs, can you please do the following:

1. Note the time when tapping on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard does nothing in an app other than Safari.
    2. Reset Safari's history/cache.
    3. Confirm that tapping on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard now works in the same app. Note the time again.

Then, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/700767/#Comment_700767
    • Your forum username: onepassname
    • The two times that you collected when reproducing the issue.
    • The name of the specific app that you reproduced the issue with.
    • Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• @onepassname

I hope that you're doing well! Two weeks you reported the following issue in this thread:

I was able to call 1Password from here to autofill - now, tapping on the Password option does nothing.

We've had multiple users report that iOS 17.1.2 has resolved the issue. Can you please update all of your devices: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

If you still see the issue when running iOS 17.1.2 or later then let me know and we can dig deeper.

-Dave

• onepassname
    onepassname
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks! Everything appears to be back to normal! 😊

Appreciate the follow up on this.

• @onepassname

I'm happy that AutoFill is working again. 🙂

-Dave