Can't sign in on iOS app - "We weren't able to sign in to your account. Maybe there's a typo?" error

Options
ziemowit
ziemowit
Community Member

Hi guys.

Have exactly same issue with 1password iOS app as described here (thread is closed, can't reply there) or here (but it's Windows area) so need to open new issue.

I'm just after migration from dashlane. 1password account was successfully created in the browser and sucessfuly connected to macbook app. Anyway, I'm not able to sign in via iOS app at all, a bit annoying. Each time "We weren't able to sign in to your account. Maybe there's a typo?" message is displayed.
I've tried to sign in on same iPhone via browser and it was successful, so it looks like an iOS app issue, not a typo. As you can imagine using browser version on mobile device is far from being convenient, not sure how long I am able to use it without mobile app so can't wait for response!

Cheers!

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.5
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @ziemowit! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to add your account to the 1Password app on your iPhone. Please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com with a link to this thread so that our support team can take a look and advise further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• ziemowit
    ziemowit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply Dave! Email is sent, but unfortunately can't see support ID in BitBot response - so just leaving information here, cheers!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ziemowit

I believe that I've located your ticket. Thank you for sending in an email, one of my colleagues will reply to you as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: EEX-32445-417

• ziemowit
    ziemowit
    Community Member
    Options

Support has contacted me, thanks for quick response!

It looks I am being affected by a known issue that is currently preventing users from adding their accounts to 1Password for iOS when using a physical security key as an authentication method. After changing 2FA method to an OTP I am able to sign in on iOS app.

I know your devs are working on it, so keeping my fingers crossed for your them to solve the issue!

Cheers!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ziemowit

Thank you for reporting back! I'm glad that our support team was able to identify the issue and provide a workaround for you. Hopefully the issue will be fixed by our developers soon.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20680

• passitcon
    passitcon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for @ziemowit for relaying back the message.
    To 1Password team @Dave_1P : is it an internal communication breakdown, or are you too shy to admit a bug on a public forum? You are wasting the time of your support team and your user.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@passitcon

Welcome to the 1Password community! 👋

The error message that the original poster reported could be caused by a variety of authentication issues. In order to narrow down the cause of the problem, contacting our support team is the best option since they have access to account information (and can request further logs if needed) that I don't have here on the forums since this is a public place.

-Dave

• passitcon
    passitcon
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for getting back to me. This is not a convincing answer.
    Let me put myself in your shoe: Right after my team created a bug in iOS client, there’s a flourish of users coming into the forum and complaining about keying in the correct details but getting “Maybe there’s a typo?” error. What would be the most likely case, and what would be the fastest way to provide a solution?
    Now, if I do not, in fact, know about the issue, that means there’s an internal comm breakdown in your support team. Your knowledge base is not up to date, and it causes unnecessary handover to the email support channel.
    OR, forgive me for speculating with suspicious eye, you know about the bug all along, but you do not want others to know that adding a security key to the account immediately breaks the iOS client, and new clients are not able to log in. If you feel like this issue undermines the security of your software, solve it instead of hiding it. If anything this is the key takeaway from the LastPass incident,

• passitcon
    passitcon
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I appreciate the work you do, and I do not wish to waste more of your time. But I think people on this forum would appreciate it if you can provide an update, when the issue is fixed (hopefully as soon as possible).

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@passitcon

Thank you for the feedback, I agree that we can always improve our support process and I'll pass along your thoughts to the team. 🙂

If you're interested, here's a thread from earlier this week where I discuss the bug in more detail: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/688869/#Comment_688869

I'll definitely make a note to update the community when the issue is fixed.

-Dave

• passitcon
    passitcon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P. So to recap, here’s a workaround for anyone who stumble upon this thread:
    1. Login to PC 1Password. Add an additional OTP as a 2FA method
    2. Use OTP to login on iOS device. Do not choose to use Security Key
    3. Remove OTP after bug was fixed if not needed

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you for detailing the workaround. 🙂

-Dave

• PhilCrocker
    PhilCrocker
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Team,

Just chiming in as I'm still having this issue, and I feel I've done the work around discussed?

I get the same 'maybe there's a typo' error message, but I've had this on a few devices previously, and the only option I had was to reset the machine...

I've done recovery for the account, reset the 2FA each time, and it will allow me onto the web app, just not the Mac App.

I hope someone can help!

Phil

This discussion has been closed.