Where does 1Password get the default suggestions for username from?

Options
emailforthemasses
emailforthemasses
Community Member
edited December 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi, I really love 1Password but one things is super annoying: every time I create a login I have to manually type my email as a username. That is, it depends. 1Password remembers 1 email but not the others I have.

Where does it take that 1 email from? My contact in iOS has all mails assigned.

Also, on https://1password.community/discussion/69919/suggestion-username-dropdown-list-when-creating-a-login-entry there was a feature request to make this configurable. Was this implemented by chance?

Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @emailforthemasses! 👋

Thanks for the question! If 1Password in the browser detects an email address field on a website then it will suggest email addresses from any Identity items that you have saved in 1Password. To add an additional email address to your list of suggestions follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Tap the blue + button in the upper right corner of the app and then tap Identity.
    3. Fill in a title and any other information that you'd like to include.
    4. Scroll down to the email field under "Internal Details", add your email address here.
    5. Save the Identity item.

Going forward you'll see that email address suggested in email address fields. 🙂

-Dave

• emailforthemasses
    emailforthemasses
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I created an identity as you said but this doesn’t help. I am not entering an email into an email field. Again, I have my iOS app and create a new, say, login. Here, I need to enter a username. Now, I am being proposed an email address. Where is it coming from? I don’t have a single identity maintained at this point.

Do you know what I mean?

Regards,
    Harald

• @emailforthemasses

I'm sorry for misunderstanding, I thought that you were seeing the suggestion in the browser.

The username suggestions that appear above the keyboard when creating a new Login item inside of the 1Password for iOS app are usernames that you've used for other Login items. 1Password suggests them in order to save you time by not typing in the username manually.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• emailforthemasses
    emailforthemasses
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

that would be great if it worked for me. Unfortunately I have dozens of logins with exactly this email that I am missing this auto completion does not seem to work for me. Any idea why this is not happening any settings? I can tweet to reset this behavior?

Thanks!

• @emailforthemasses

Thank you for the reply. To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of the screen with the suggestions that you're referring to and attach it to your reply:

Please blur or cover any sensitive information.

-Dave

• emailforthemasses
    emailforthemasses
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

here is the screen shot. I start entering the address which begins with ‘‘em’ but it’s not shown in the auto completion on top of the keyboard.

Harald

• @emailforthemasses

Thank you for posting the screenshot. It looks like you're using 1Password 7 which is an older version of the app that is no longer supported. I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8:

If you already have a 1Password.com membership then the update is already included. Once you've updated to 1Password 8, let me know if you see the right usernames being suggested. 🙂

-Dave

• emailforthemasses
    emailforthemasses
    Community Member
    Options

Is this a paid upgrade? If so, is it a one-time fee or a subscription? Thanks!

• @emailforthemasses

1Password 8 is a brand new experience that requires a 1Password.com membership. It sounds like you have a license for an older version of 1Password, we're currently offering discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using licensed versions of 1Password. It you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership. 🙂

-Dave

• emailforthemasses
    emailforthemasses
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Thank you! The team will keep an eye out for your email. 🙂

-Dave