Restoring a database with an old, known master password

Options
HoistedByOwnPetard
HoistedByOwnPetard
Community Member
edited December 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've been using 1Password 7 for Mac (locally, with no cloud account) for years.

Today, disastrously, I created a cloud account with a new master password, which I stored in my local 1Password (because that's where I keep my passwords!), and didn't memorize. I didn't realize that the cloud master password would sync to my local app, locking me out.

I have backups of my local 1Password database from before this disaster, and I know the master password that existed at the time of those backups. So in principle, I should be able to recover, right?

I've tried restoring one of those backups to:
~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

but the app still won't unlock. It seems like there must be some other location where it's remembering the new master password.

How can I purge that, so I can unlock my old backup with my old master password?

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macos 14.2
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• HoistedByOwnPetard
    Options

I succeeded at restoring. My solution was to:

• rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits
    • Look for running processes with "1Password" and "onepassword" in their names, and kill -9 them
    • Restore ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits from backup

It appears that there was a background helper process that was remembering the new master password, even though I'd quit the app. As soon as I killed it and reopened the app, I was able to unlock as expected.

• @HoistedByOwnPetard

I'm glad to hear you could restore. You are correct that 1Password memberships use the same password you access 1Password.com with as your unlock password.