Inconsistent Apple Watch unlock

Options
GratisHushed
GratisHushed
Community Member

I'm having the same problem as was discussed here.

https://1password.community/discussion/140229/1password-mac-unlock-with-apple-watch-inconsistent

No solution was listed in that thread. I'm running a Mac Studio M2 Max with macOS 13.4, and an Apple Watch 6 with watchOS 9.5.1.

The Mac itself unlocks every time with the watch. 1Password fails to detect the watch after the screen saver locks the display; in fact, when it fails to detect the watch, the option to unlock with the watch is entirely missing from the Security settings.

Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ Safari 16.5 (18615.2.9.11.4)

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @GratisHushed! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're also running into trouble when trying to unlock 1Password using your Apple Watch. Our developers have identified an issue in macOS that can cause issues with apps connecting to a user's Apple Watch and a bug report has been filed with Apple so that they can investigate this further.

You mentioned that the issue occurs when your display gets turned off, can you tell me:

1. Does your Mac sleep when the display gets turned off?
    2. After your display turns off and the issue occurs, if you keep your Mac awake (and the display on) are you eventually able to unlock 1Password using your Apple Watch? Some users report that it can take an hour or longer for the connection to be re-established.

I look forward to hearing from you. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18393

• GratisHushed
    GratisHushed
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    1. No, I did think of that and turned off the setting that lets the computer sleep when the display sleeps.
    2. Yes! Weird! I had not noticed that before. I also tried various other settings like 1Password never locks on idle, only on screen saver; or, macOS screen saver immediately locks macOS, etc. Nothing consistent to report.

If it's a macOS bug, then I guess we just have to wait on Apple. Thanks again for your help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@GratisHushed

Thank you for the reply. If the issue occurs after your Mac sleeps, and Apple Watch unlock starts working again if you leave the Mac awake for long enough, then that does indeed sound like the issue that our developers are tracking.

As a workaround for now, you can turn the Apple Watch unlock option off and then back in the System Settings for macOS to get things going again. However I recognize that this isn't an convenient workaround and hopefully this is something that can be fixed in the future.

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    Options

@GratisHushed

Our development team is having trouble reproducing the intermittent Apple Watch unlock behaviour that you reported when using the latest version(s) of watchOS (9.5.2) and macOS (Ventura 13.4.1).

We'd like to know if you're still experiencing the issue and, if you are, to let us know what versions of watchOS and macOS you're currently running. If you're not already on the latest version of both watchOS (9.5.2) and macOS (Ventura 13.4.1) you can update to them by following these steps:

Let me know if you can still reproduce the issue, and what specific versions of watchOS and macOS you're running, and I can pass along your report to our development team.

-Dave

• GratisHushed
    GratisHushed
    Community Member
    Options

I’ll turn the option back on and test it for a while. I had turned it off and was using only Touch ID since that was more reliable.

Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Sounds good, let me know if you do run into the issue again. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• GratisHushed
    GratisHushed
    Community Member
    Options

I am still having the problem, unfortunately.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@GratisHushed

I'm sorry to hear that you're still seeing the issue. I've let our developers know and we'll reach out if any other information is needed from your end.

-Dave

• zder
    zder
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing the same issue. Mac Studio, macOS 13.5.2, 1Password for Mac 8.10.15, Apple Watch 8, WatchOS 9.6.2
    Only occasionally am I able to unlock my Mac using my Apple Watch. Usually, it doesn't work at all and Unlock with Apple Watch is not visible in 1Password Settings:Security.

• @zder

Going out on a limb here, it sure sounds like you are experiencing a known issue that has been reported to Apple for an OS side resolution. If you like I'd be happy to look over a report. However, your description aligns perfectly with that other have said disappearing and reappearing. If you wish to send a report over and let us review it further please follow the instructions below.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: zder
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/695538/#Comment_695538

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• OC03
    OC03
    Community Member
    Options

Similar issue with me β€” Unlock with Apple Watch does not work for 1Password while always working for unlocking the MacOS screen sleep. If I try all the things on the help article about setting up unlock with Apple Watch then sometimes (rarely) it works for a while but then stops working.
    iMac Pro running MacOS 14.2.1
    Apple Watch Ultra running WatchOS 10.2

Unlock with Apple Watch used to work reliably until a couple of months ago.

• @OC03

I'd suggest signing out of iCloud on the watch and signing in again. We had a user much like yourself that we referred to Apple. The user reported Apple had them unpair and pair the watch with the phone and now he's a happy user. I can't guarantee the same for you but that worked for him.

• OC03
    OC03
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks, Tommy, that worked! After re-pairing my watch I just had to re-enable unlock with Apple Watch on my Mac and 1Password is suddenly able to be unlocked by my watch.

Let's see if this setting sticks...

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

Wishing you good luck. @OC03

If anyone else wishes to try that, it might be worth a shot. This is has helped three folks so far. It seems it might be fruitful. My main thought is perhaps this refreshes some token that's exchanged. As long as it works...

• OC03
    OC03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tommy. Unfortunately, the problem has returned the day after Apple Watch unlock was restored by signing the Apple Watch out-of/into iCloud. Last night I shut the computer down, and today 1Password again is failing to interact with my Apple Watch. (This has been the pattern lately β€” if I somehow get Apple Watch unlock to work, it soon again ceases to work.)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@OC03

I'm sorry that the issue has returned. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• OC03
    OC03
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Dave. I submitted the Diag Report and received this Tik# [#AMD-19811-956]

• Thanks OC03

ref: AMD-19811-956