TOUCH ID - anyone else finding the 1PW Mac implementation arcane and inconsistent?

Options
persona
persona
Community Member

I have TouchID on my MB Air. Ideally, when I go to a web page which has a corresponding 1PW entry, I would touch the TouchID button, and 1PW would popup the password or field data, or a choice thereof.

Similarly, when I want to open 1PW, TouchID access would always be active, such that touching the ID button would consistently open the app.

Current behaviour is unpredictable, inconsistent, and feels arcane - sometimes no additional actions are needed, and the app or field popup opens. Other times, I have to click on the fingerprint prompt button. Other times, TouchID isn't active at all.

My request is that TouchID be given override priority in accessing page fields and opening the 1PW app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @persona! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. You can choose how often 1Password locks by changing your auto-lock settings: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

If you turn off auto-lock then 1Password will stay unlocked unless a few specific conditions are triggered, such as restarting your Mac.

You can also choose how often your account password is required by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Security.
    5. Change "Require Password" to the desired value.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• persona
    persona
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave

Thanks for your swift response. I don't think this is the problem.

This is one example of the issue:

This necessitates either password entry or manually clicking on the fingerprint icon, then touching the TouchID button on the Mac. My assertion is that touching the TouchID button should automatically force access to 1PW.

Here, you can see how the security settings are already at their most permissive:

• persona
    persona
    Community Member
    Options

I have just tried to change the Auto-lock setting, but this is disabled. Any ideas why?

• @persona

Thank you for the reply. I'll respond below:

This necessitates either password entry or manually clicking on the fingerprint icon, then touching the TouchID button on the Mac. My assertion is that touching the TouchID button should automatically force access to 1PW.

Thanks for the screenshot. 1Password itself doesn't scan or have access to your fingerprint, when you click on the fingerprint icon the 1Password app will trigger the macOS Touch ID feature. macOS will then show the Touch ID prompt:

I'm not sure if apps can ask macOS to trigger the Touch ID feature without showing this prompt but I've filed a request with our development team to have them look into this further.

I have just tried to change the Auto-lock setting, but this is disabled. Any ideas why?

If 1Password for Mac is locked then Security settings can't be changed. Unlock 1Password first, then try changing your auto-lock settings. Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#11000

• TomsiNomsi
    TomsiNomsi
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I think what @persona means is that we have to click first on the fingerprint icon of 1password and then the popup shows to touch the touchid key. If touchid is enabled I would expect the popup to show right away and not having to make an extra click. In case touchid is not enough and the password required (ie after 30 days) it could show the standard "enter your password" field.
    Might not seem like a big difference but it's quite annoying if you open 1password with spotlight or quicksilver, then you have to search your mouse cursor, click on the little fingerprint icon and then move your hand over to the touchid sensor.

Does that make sense?

I was searching and searching for a solution in settings but without success.

• @TomsiNomsi

Thanks for the reply. When I open 1Password I see the Touch ID prompt appear right away, here are my steps:

1. Close 1Password's main window.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar and click Lock.
    3. Open Spotlight and search for 1Password. Open 1Password.

The Touch ID prompt appears right away. If you're following different steps then can you let me know what they are so that I can try to reproduce the issue? Can you also tell me which versions of the 1Password app and macOS you're using?

-Dave

• TomsiNomsi
    TomsiNomsi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply @Dave_1P and I agree with your process and outcome. If I follow it, it works as I would expect it to.
    If 1Password gets locked, however (ie: because of idleness or you close and open the lid of your macbook) and you switch back to the main 1Password window, then it will present you with the normal login window without the Touch ID prompt on top of it. Then you have to click on the fingerprint icon to see the Touch ID prompt.
    Is that happening on your end as well?
    I am using 1Password for Mac 8.10.22 (81022040) on Mac OS 14.2

Thanks for looking in it.
    Tom

• @TomsiNomsi

Thank you for the reproduction steps. If 1Password is behind another window and I let it lock, you're right that I don't see the Touch ID prompt appear right away if I use Command-Tab to switch to 1Password. Is this how you're switching to 1Password as well?

If I instead click on the 1Password icon in the Dock to bring up the main 1Password window then the Touch ID prompt appears right away. I suggest using this workaround for now if you'd like the Touch ID prompt to appear right away.

I've filed an issue with our development team to have them look into this further to see if we can make any changes or improvements here. Thank you both for the report!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26774

• TomsiNomsi
    TomsiNomsi
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Indeed clicking works and appreciate you filing the issue with your dev team to make command-tab work as well.

Thanks!
    Tom

• Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• DollarbillW
    DollarbillW
    Community Member
    Options

It would be really nice if 1PW eliminated the need to click on the fingerprint icon in order to use the Touch ID feature.

When I launch Quicken on my Mac, the app is immediately ready to scan my fingerprint, not requiring me to select that I want to login with Touch ID.

• @DollarbillW

Thank you for the feedback. Are you also using Command-Tab to switch to 1Password? If you click on the 1Password icon in the Dock (at the bottom of the screen) you should be prompted for Touch ID right away. Let me know if that doesn't happen. 🙂

-Dave

• DollarbillW
    DollarbillW
    Community Member
    Options

I am a week into having a Mac with Touch ID and still getting used to it. My wife and I each have an individual login for the Mac and share the 1PW account. We also utilize the Fast User Switching feature on the Mac to switch between users. We avoid logging out from our user accounts to prevent having to reenter the Mac password to reenable the Touch ID feature. Instead, we utilize the Sleep option.
    The Mac logins in consistently with Touch ID, and the 1PW login also works consistently with Touch ID when launching 1PW either from the Dock or from the 1PW icon in menu bar (configured to Show Main Window).
    When using Fast User Switching, everything seems to be consistent if we Quit 1PW before switching users. I have been able to repeatedly switch back in forth from User 1 to User 2 and launch 1PW and each time will get a login screen that includes the red fingerprint icon and allowing Touch ID to work.
    However, if we don’t quit 1PW before Fast User Switching, it will work correctly on the first attempt, but subsequent attempts will result in a login window with a blue fingerprint icon. It is then necessary to click on the blue fingerprint icon to get to the login window with the red fingerprint icon, which will allow logging in with Touch ID.
    It would be ideal to be able to utilize the Fast User Switching feature without having to remember to quit 1PW first, which would allow for a more consistent Touch ID login to 1PW.

• @DollarbillW

Thank you for the description of the issue. After you switch user accounts how are you bringing up the 1Password window? Is it just open on your screen on top of other windows? Are you clicking the icon in the Dock? Or trying to fill a login in the browser?

-Dave

• DollarbillW
    DollarbillW
    Community Member
    Options

The 1PW window opens immediately after switching. It is the only window visible at that point. I then have the option to either type in my password or click on the blue fingerprint icon, which will produce the red fingerprint icon and enable the Touch ID sensor to work.

• @DollarbillW

Thank you for clarifying. It sounds like the behaviour that you're seeing is normal. When the 1Password window is open but locked on your screen, in order to avoid spamming users with biometric unlock prompts, 1Password will wait until you try to unlock (by clicking on the fingerprint button) before it shows the Touch ID prompt.

If you'd like, you can have 1Password stay unlocked when user switching:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Turn off "Lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users".

You can read more about auto-lock here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

-Dave

• DollarbillW
    DollarbillW
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for looking into this and verifying that it is working as intended.

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.