Pls change "Show all matching items" search default to list (with cmd-return to go to top result)

Options

I would like to request the user preference option to toggle the search behavior in the desktop application. At present with the 1P8 when searching key words, you get a dynamic list that's generated, but the return key will automatically go to the top result's entry. In order to show the list of matching items, you have to press command-return.

This is counter-intuitive and contrary, I suspect, to most UI standards.In the least, a user option to toggle the behavior would be much welcomed, such that simply hitting return shows all the matches, while cmd-return goes to the to result.

1Password Version: 8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Agree 100%, infact I posted a similar thead a couple of days ago..

https://1password.community/discussion/127867/disappointing-usability-after-upgrading-from-7-to-8

But why even hit return to filter? It should just filter as you type (as 1Password 7 did).

I really hope 1Password listen to this feedback, else why are we beta testing?

• rosssimpson
    rosssimpson
    Community Member
    Options

+100 to this; please either revert to the filtering search behavior that v7 had, or provide a configuration mechanism that allows one to use the previous functionality.

I'm loving a lot of the features in v8, but this change to search behavior is not intuitive at all (in fact, I didn't know about the cmd-enter behavior until I came to the beta forums).

There are a bunch of other threads that mention this topic. Please take it on board! :)

• Hi folks! Thank you for this request. We have an open internal issue about this (and the search feature is a focus of ongoing work here as well), so I have added your comments and votes for proposed solutions to this. πŸ‘

We are indeed listening. Thank you for letting us know where you find room for improvement - and we'll do our best to exceed your expectations!

ref: IDEA-I-289

• G3TG0T
    G3TG0T
    Community Member
    Options

Any movement on this? Still really annoying to not have the option to search all by default.

• @nbfa, @carpii, @rosssimpson, @G3TG0T

1Password recently introduced a change in how search works and pressing enter now opens "Show all matching results". You can then look through the total list of results for a search term.

Please make sure that you're running 8.10.24: How to keep 1Password up to date

You might need to completely close and then reopen 1Password before seeing the change. Let me know if this new behaviour helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - Thanks Dave. Just upgraded to 8.10.24 for Linux

Really happy with this change, its such an improvement

• @carpii

I'm glad that you're enjoying the new behaviour. Thanks again for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave