disappointing usability after upgrading from 7 to 8

Options
carpii
carpii
Community Member

I have 1password 7 on Mac, with a Dropbox vault.

As I'm migrating from Mac to linux, the only way to carry across my vault was to upgrade to Dropbox 8 (for linux and mac).
I don't mind the subscription model, but pretty disappointed by the usability of 1password 8 especially when it comes to searching your logins

1password 7: enter a search string and the list of logins are immediately filtered in the box below. Nice and fast, and the UI didn't get in the way

1password 8: enter a search string, it shows the first 8 entries.
To view the full list you have to hit CTRL+Enter, which already is an extra step.
Also the top item is often obscured by a pointless info message saying '22 items matched 'substring', so you then have to scroll up a little to see the top match.

It's all just so cumbersome, when the way it worked in 1password 7 was perfect.
You gotta remember its not uncommon for developers or sysadmins to have a lot of logins for a particular host (shell logins, and portals etc)

Please rethink these UI changes. They're a really poor decision.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

This is still the biggest problem I have with 1PW8. It got a bit better since Mid February when they implemented a filter in parallel to the search. This filter is only avaliable via menu or shortcut (cmd+opt+f on macOS, ctrl+alt+f on windows). I still struggle to understand why they had to change search and even more who thinks that the current solution (called next gen search) is superior to the old one.

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi folks! Thank you for the feedback here.

I don't mind the subscription model, but pretty disappointed by the usability of 1password 8 especially when it comes to searching your logins

The search feature is something we'll continue to improve going forward, and we do really appreciate the specifics you've provided here on how to do that. Not everyone has the same idea of what the ideal search tool should be like, so understanding your work flows, how you characteristically use it and how you expect it to act, and so on, are helpful as we consider how to provide the best possible solution.

@carpii, I have already added your vote re: this, per the other thread. 👍

And @viswiz I am happy to add your comments and vote to our existing issue, as well (and have just now done so). Thank you!

ref: IDEA-I-289

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thankyou @PeterG_1P!

• My pleasure, @carpii. Thanks for contributing to the better-making process!

• Mischu
    Mischu
    Community Member
    Options

I fully agree with "carpii". Usability and interface are unfortunate. I have no idea about this "Electron" but apparently, that has to do with it. And with the people who don't seem to like a modern interface. Apple-style remains Apple-style. Otherwise, I might as well switch to Windows. The popups are partly too big, get in the way. (see picture) Too many clicks are necessary to reach the goal... I don't want to criticize badly, but the users are not really taken seriously here. agile also means to recognize the "wrong route" and maybe rethink. In any case, my subscription is canceled. I'm looking for something else - Good luck

• Hi @Mischu, I'm sorry to learn this was your experience. I hope that the rapid and consistent stream of updates here, as well as our continual engagement in the forums (including many features and fixes that are a direct result of customer requests) is some demonstration that we care greatly about the design of the app, its usability for you, and your overall experience.

If you've made the decision to look elsewhere, we of course understand - and your data is yours to take with you, as always. But we're still committed to creating and supporting an app par excellence - and your feedback is always welcome. I hope you'll reconsider!

This discussion has been closed.