Can I keep 1Password beyond version 7 locally ONLY, meaning no cloud sharing between devices??

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member
edited February 8 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've used 1Password since 2006... But for a few reasons I did not continue my license beyond version 7.9.11... If I should choose to purchase a new license at whatever version might be current today, am I able to set it up where it is saved and used on ONE DEVICE ONLY??? I don't want a vault (or whatever it might now be called) shared via the cloud with my other devices... That's how I've always had it set up and I would only upgrade if that is still an option... Is that stand alone setup possible??? Allowed??? thanks...

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @diitto! 👋

Thank you for the question! 1Password 7 is no longer supported and our current version is 1Password 8. You can learn how to upgrade here: Upgrade to 1Password 8

When you install 1Password 8 your data will be saved locally on your device and will also be backed up to your account on 1Password.com and made available on all of your devices where you're using 1Password. Your data is always end-to-end encrypted before leaving your device using your account password and Secret Key and no one but you can access or view your items: About the 1Password security model

If you'd like to avoid having your 1Password items be made available on your other devices then you can choose to only install 1Password on your one device. Your data will still be encrypted and backed up to your account so that you can recover if something happens to your device.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

My problem with that is the "...will also be backed up to your account on 1Password.com"... I then hear all the "end to end encrypted" words but, sorry, that offers little comfort as so many others have said similar things just before announcing some terrible data compromise... Especially when I only want to use it locally so landing my data out in the cloud ONLY contains risk for me, small though they may be, but with no benefit since I only want to use the data on one device locally... I use other services such as cloud backup where I DO take the risk with allowing data to be stored in the cloud, but that clearly has benefit for me as well. So I think I already know the answer to this but is there any way to avoid the data being stored in my "1password.com" account??? thanks...

• Dave_1P
    edited February 8
    Options

@diitto

Thanks for the reply. Your 1Password.com account is a fundamental component of the 1Password experience, it's not possible to use 1Password 8 without an account. You could theoretically register for an account, install and setup 1Password 8, and then block 1Password 8's access to the internet but I wouldn't recommend doing this.

The difference between the services whose data breeches you may have read about in the news and 1Password is the end-to-end encryption that 1Password uses. Other services either store their information in the cloud unencrypted or encrypted using a key that they control. With 1Password all of your information is stored encrypted using your own private keys that are derived from two secrets that only you know: your 1Password account password and your Secret Key.

This means that no one but you can decrypt your information. Even if 1Password was hacked the hackers would only find encrypted gibberish that means nothing without your 1Password account password and Secret Key.

If you're interested then I would recommend giving the following a read to better understand why 1Password is unique in being able to protect your data even if our cloud servers are hacked:

-Dave

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, thanks for the links to how 1Password keeps data safe... Lots to read and absorb... Should I decide one day to move from my no longer supported version 7.9.11 (I work on a Mac using (typically) the most recent macOS (currently using macOS Sonoma 14.3.1), to your version 8, does the upgrade process just work and work well??? Or would I need to be sure and do all sorts of backup of my existing vault information before changing from version 7 to the subscription model in version 8??? I've gone through every version of 1Password since 2006 and never asked this question before but I do so now because this change appears to be quite dramatic and I don't want to have to recreate all my existing logins... Does the upgrade process work well, again on a Mac??? thanks...

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and note that I currently have a "standalone vault"... Have only this support account but otherwise have never needed to create a "1password" account... How does that impact moving to an account/subscription based version 8??? thanks...

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

One more question... If I move from Version 7 to Version 8 (Mac, macOS Sonoma (14.3.1), only have Safari 1password extension installed) would my user experience be more or less the same when seeking to autofill logins for saved websites??? thanks...

• @diitto

Thanks for the questions! We have a great guide on how to migrate your items from an older standalone vault to a 1Password account here: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

We also have an amazing migration team who can walk you through the process step-by-step and help with any issues that you may run into. You can begin that conversation by sending them an email and then replying to the auto-reply: support+tradein@1password.com

Send your email to that specific email address to be offered a big discount on a membership since you're currently using a licensed version. 😉

One more question... If I move from Version 7 to Version 8 (Mac, macOS Sonoma (14.3.1), only have Safari 1password extension installed) would my user experience be more or less the same when seeking to autofill logins for saved websites??? thanks...

With a 1Password account, and 1Password 8, you'll be able to use our modern extension for Safari which features improved filling and support for more features than the old extension including with 1Password 7. You can find the new extension here: ‎1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

-Dave