Why does the Chrome keyboard shortcut keep reverting/resetting to its original value?

Options
jamesxa
jamesxa
Community Member
edited January 8 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm not sure if it's when Chrome Updates or the 1Password Extension but the "Activate the extension" keyboard shortcut keeps getting reset to Cmd+Shift+X. Since I use my browser to edit documents, this conflicts with the "strikethrough" text formatting shortcut so I'm consistently having to reset it. I've tried using a different shortcut as well as removing the shortcut to no avail. Ever since I switched to 1Password 8 and the "new" browser extension this has been happening (so for several months). This happens on all of my Chrome Profiles.

1Password Version: 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 2.11.0, 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser: Chrome (114.0.5735.133)
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension keyboard shortcut revert

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jamesxa, it is strange that the keyboard shortcut you've set for the extension in Chrome keeps changing back to the default Cmd+Shift+X. I do have custom shortcuts for the extension in Chrome on my end, and that doesn't happen to me even when the extension or browser updates.

I'm curious, do you notice that the shortcut reverts back to its default value after an update to the extension or browser? Do you notice the same behavior occurring for your shortcuts in other extensions in Chrome? Do you clear your browsing data in Chrome regularly?

Please let us know and we can look into this some more. We hope to hear from you again.

• jamesxa
    jamesxa
    Community Member
    Options

This is the only extension I have that has a keyboard shortcut assigned. Interestingly enough the "Lock the extension" shortcut I changed to nothing and it has stayed at nothing. With the latest update of Chrome and/or this extension it has gotten worse and isn't even requiring an update to reset.
    I also just discovered that clicking on the "Change on the Extensions page.." link in the 1Password Extension settings is always showing the shortcut as reset.
    Screen recording: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ih4cC5jcayYtL2tG6

Glad this doesn't sound like a widespread issue.

I do use Developer tools to disable caching when debugging and developing web pages but I don't typically "clear browsing data."

I have not tried removing and reinstalling the extension yet.

• TonyAiello
    TonyAiello
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening to me for about a year. It's incredibly frustrating as I, like the OP, use Google Docs and Command-Shift-X is strike-through. It's especially frustrating because it takes so many clicks to reset the shortcut (and it's really hard to find). I'd guess the reset happens about once a month, but I'm never quite sure what triggered it.

Is there some way to just disable utterly the shortcuts? Or to change the default, so that the reset-to-default doesn't cause this behavior?

• gaberust
    gaberust
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I am also a Mac/Chrome user and have been experiencing this issue. Has anyone found a solution?

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello everyone,

Our developers have looked into the situation and have confirmed that, on certain actions such as updating the browser, Chrome can sometimes unexpectedly reset browser shortcuts.

Since Chrome's behaviour here isn't something that we can change, I recommend reporting the issue to Chrome so that their team can investigate further: Report an issue or send feedback on Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Hopefully this issue can be fixed in a future update to Chrome.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#21691

• gmay
    gmay
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for experiencing this.

Is there something that could be added to the 1Password extension that would allow me to opt-out of 1PW Chrome shortcuts all together? (I rarely use them and the clash with Google Docs is far more disruptive than just not having them).

• Hi @gmay 👋

1Password in the browser provides an option to change, or remove, shortcuts through Chrome's native interface. An issue with Chrome can sometimes reset the shortcuts back to default even after you've changed them. I recommend that you report this issue to Chrome so that they can investigate this further.

That being said, I've passed you feedback along to the team. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with in the meantime.

-Trevor

ref: PB-38297038