Old Macs with 1Password 7 + new Mac with 1P7 or 1P8

Options
syncrasy
syncrasy
Community Member
edited February 14 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have two old Macs (High Sierra, end of line) and an iPhone running 1Password 7. All use standalone vaults synced to Apple iCloud. I will be getting a new Mac (Sonoma) soon.

1. I understand that 1Password 7 is no longer supported, but technically would it still work on Sonoma? Would I use the 1P7 installer file from my old Mac to install 1P7 on the new Mac?
  2. If I decide to buy a 1Password 8 account for the new Sonoma Mac, would I use one of my old Macs to migrate my vault data to the 1Password 8 account?
  3. If I migrate data to a 1P8 account for use on the new Mac, will my 1Password 7 software keep working on the old Macs and iPhone as before?
  4. I assume changes to the vault in 1Password 8 on the new Mac will not be synced to the iCloud vault in 1Password 7 on the old Macs since the 1P7 Macs use iCloud and the 1P8 would use Agilebits server. Is that correct? Is there any workaround to get them synced? (I.e., Can the 1P7 Macs download data from the 1P8 account?)

Any other factors I should consider before installing 1Password 8 on the new Sonoma Mac?

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @syncrasy! 👋

Thank you for the questions! As you noted, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I recommend using 1Password 8 moving forward. Legacy sync methods such as standalone vaults synced using iCloud are also no longer supported and aren't compatible with 1Password 8.

I understand that 1Password 7 is no longer supported, but technically would it still work on Sonoma? Would I use the 1P7 installer file from my old Mac to install 1P7 on the new Mac?

I've opened 1Password 7 on macOS Sonoma and it appears to still work. But, since we're not actively testing 1Password 7 on new versions of macOS anymore, I'm not sure about what issues you might run into. 1Password 8 is the future.

If I decide to buy a 1Password 8 account for the new Sonoma Mac, would I use one of my old Macs to migrate my vault data to the 1Password 8 account?

Yes, you would migrate to a 1Password account using the Mac currently running 1Password 7 since that's where you currently have access to your items.

If I migrate data to a 1P8 account for use on the new Mac, will my 1Password 7 software keep working on the old Macs and iPhone as before?

Yes, you can continue to use 1Password 7 for as long as it works. But I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 wherever possible since 1Password 7 is no longer receiving regular updates.

You can add your 1Password account to 1Password 7 on your old Mac while using 1Password 8 on the new Mac and see the same items on both devices. You won't have access to certain new features when using 1Password 7 but you can use 1Password 7 on some devices and 1Password 8 on other devices.

assume changes to the vault in 1Password 8 on the new Mac will not be synced to the iCloud vault in 1Password 7 on the old Macs since the 1P7 Macs use iCloud and the 1P8 would use Agilebits server. Is that correct? Is there any workaround to get them synced? (I.e., Can the 1P7 Macs download data from the 1P8 account?)

It's not possible to sync an old iCloud vault with a 1Password account. The best path forward is to migrate the items from the old iCloud vault to a 1Password account, you can find a migration guide here: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

We have a dedicated migration team that can help walk you through the process. Please send an email to support+tradein@1password.com to start that conversation and to be offered a substantial discount on a 1Password account since you're currently using a licensed version of 1Password. 🙂

-Dave

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited February 14
    Options

Thanks Dave.

You can add your 1Password account to 1Password 7 on your old Mac while using 1Password 8 on the new Mac and see the same items on both devices.

Just to clarify... Does adding the new 1Password account to 1Password 7 on an old Mac automatically disconnect the iCloud server syncing and enable Agilebits/proprietary 1Password server syncing? Does the syncing get changed automatically on my other two old devices using 1P7 (old Mac #1 and iPhone), or do I have to manually reconfigure each device separately?

• Hi @syncrasy 👋

Adding a 1Password account to the 1Password 7 app will not automatically remove any standalone vaults, nor change their syncing methods. It's important to note that any items kept in standalone vaults will not be available to you in your 1Password account and therefore won't be available to you on the devices you use 1Password 8 on. For this reason, I'd highly recommend migrating any data that you have saved in standalone vaults into your 1Password account: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

As my colleague Dave mentioned, we have a dedicated migration team who can help walk you through the process, and also offer you a discount on 1Password membership. You can reach them by sending an email to support+tradein@1password.com and they'll be happy to help 🙂.

-Trevor

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited February 15
    Options

I should have been more clear. I meant to say, "After migrating my data to a 1Password, will my iCloud vault by disabled or removed?" Based on the migration help page you linked above, it appears that the answer is "Yes."

1. Click Move Data. All your existing data, like passwords and secure notes, will be copied to your account, and your migrated vaults will be removed automatically.
  • @syncrasy

Thanks for the reply. That applies to the device that you're using to migrate your data, for your other devices where you're also using 1Password 7 and can't upgrade to 1Password8, the following specific section would apply: If you can’t upgrade to 1Password 8 on one of your devices

That being said, I do recommend working with our migration team over email to ensure that the process goes smoothly.

-Dave