I want to use 1Password normally on Vivaldi (Mac)

Options

I had trouble with macOS and after restoring my environment from TimeMachine, 1Password started acting up.
I was calling 1Password by hitting Cmd+. Now when I do that it opens 1Password in the Finder bar and prompts me to install the 1password extension. Of course the extension was in Vivaldi.

I can't find the previous 1password extension when I look for extensions in the Chrome store. I installed the 1password extension that I searched for and got hits. Of course, the behavior of 1Password in Finder does not change.

When I click on the 1Password icon on the Vivaldi toolbar, I am first prompted to sign in. The problem is then. Every time I click that icon, a new tab is generated (with a notification at the same time) and I am asked to re-authenticate 1Password. I ignore it and 1password is able to autofill. I want to stop this re-authentication tab creation.

Can't I just use Cmd+\ to search for 1Password in Finder and apply it to my browser like I used to?

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 13.6.4
Browser: Vivaldi

Comments

• Hey @babbles55,

It looks like you are using an older version of 1Password on your Mac which may explain the behaviour you are seeing in your browser. 1Password 7 is no longer supported or receiving updates so we recommend upgrading to 1Password 8 at your earliest convenience. Here's how: Upgrade to 1Password 8.

Let us know how you get on and if you are still having trouble we can continue to troubleshoot.

• babbles55
    babbles55
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @steph.giles
    I updated to 1Password 8 and things have changed a bit. When I start Vivaldi and click on the 1Password extension icon for the first time, an authentication tab is generated and asks me to authenticate. I don't seem to be asked to authenticate unless I exit Vivaldi. When I restart Vivaldi, it asks me to authenticate.
    In its Authentication tab, you will see suggestions for suitable passwords in the password field. This was the case in 1Password 7.
    More inconveniently, "cmd+\" no longer allows automatic input. The 1Password and Quick Access shortcuts work, but only this auto-type shortcut does not work. I have added trust Vivaldi in 1Password settings.

I still do not understand the difference between an application and an extension.
    Are extensions now like apps that work on their own, rather than bridging features with applications as they used to?
    There seem to be a few things where passwords are registered in the app version but not stored in the extensions.

Is this a regression of 1Password8?

• @babbles55

Did you add Vivaldi to the other browsers listing within `1Password 8? If not, can you try that and see if it helps.

1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser > Connect to additional browser?

• babbles55
    babbles55
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @ag_tommy ,
    I have already registered Vivaldi there. I use Firefox as an alternate browser, which is fine; the auto-type shortcut works in Firefox, but this shortcut is the only one that doesn't work in Vivaldi.

1Password behavior on my Vivaldi. I enter my 1Password information after a new authentication tab is created. At that time, each field has a 1Password auto-entry suggestion popup. Then when I enter the appropriate account information there, I am taken to the next page, but the progress circle continues to appear forever.

I would at least like to enable auto typing with "Cmd+/". 1Password and Quick Access shortcuts are not a problem.

I am reconfiguring but no change.

• babbles55
    babbles55
    Community Member
    edited February 12
    Options

It appears that the vaults are different for the 1Password application version and the browser add-on.
    The application version is more up-to-date and the add-on version has older contents.
    I looked at the add-on version's settings and "Integrate into 1Password desktop app" was disabled.
    Once I enabled it, it seems to be targeting the vault data in the desktop version. However, the shortcut key Cmd+(auto-type) does not work.

• @babbles55

If Universal Autofill is able to fill correctly in Firefox but not in Vivaldi, it may be having a difficulty recognizing it's code signature.

To help us investigate this further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/144254/i-want-to-use-1password-normally-on-vivaldi-mac
    • Your forum username: babbles55

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

• nomadism
    nomadism
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, also stumbled on this post - I have the same problem. Universal Autofill works fine on Firefox, but not on Vivaldi.

I have the most recent version of the two

Vivaldi: 6.7.3329.17 (Stable channel) (arm64)
    1password: 1Password for Mac 8.10.30 (81030032)

How can I provide more information to make things work?