1Password to Apple Keychain - Old MacOS

Options
hoddz89
hoddz89
Community Member
edited February 20 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hey folks.

I’m looking for a way to backup my passwords to Apple Keychain. I have managed to export from 1Password 7 but none of the four types are supported in Keychain Access.app.

Now, I am running old (but the latest supported) versions of 1Password and MacOS. This is where/why I seem to come unstuck I think.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I don’t fancy manually moving each of my ~300 logins over, doesn’t seem like much fun and no idea how - or if it’s even possible - to duplicate one time code stuff without exporting/importing.

Thanks,
Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @hoddz89! 👋

Thanks for the question! Before I answer the question I did want to mention that 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8: Upgrade to 1Password 8

1Password 8 does require macOS Catalina 10.15 or later so it wouldn't work with macOS 10.13.6. This old version of macOS is no longer being updated or supported by Apple (it was last updated more than three years ago) and I suggest that you upgrade when you can since you're missing quite a few security updates.

I’m looking for a way to backup my passwords to Apple Keychain.

Can you tell me a little more about why you're trying to export to your passwords to another password manager? If you're using a 1Password account then there is no need to backup your vault since your data is already backed up to your 1Password account in the cloud as part of the membership fees that you pay. If you accidentally delete an item you can always restore it from your 1Password account on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Your encrypted data is replicated to redundant copies on our end to guard against any data loss. You can read more about backup here: 1Password backups

If you're not using a 1Password account then please let me know.

-Dave

• hoddz89
    hoddz89
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I’d like to have my passwords moved over to Apple so that they are in more than one ecosystem and not just in one place - although I understand they are in more than one place with 1Password.

I cannot update to any of the above mentioned versions as my Mac is too old for this - though I do hope to be able to upgrade to a newer machine in the future.

Any help to get my passwords over easily would be greatly appreciated 😊

• Dave_1P
    edited February 20
    Options

@hoddz89

Thanks for the reply. Your 1Password membership fee pays for a sophisticated and complex security system that protects your passwords, ensures that no one but you can access them, and alerts you to any unauthorized access. Exporting your passwords and storing a duplicate copy in another password manager basically renders that entire system irrelevant which is why I don't recommend doing that.

That being said, we believe that your data is yours and that you should always have the right to export it and store it whereever you wish. You can export your items from 1Password 7 by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Choose the vault that you'd like to export in the sidebar (you have to export one vault at a time).
    3. Click 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar.
    4. Click File > Export > All Items.
    5. Enter your account password.
    6. Choose the file format that you'd like to export to and the location then click Save.

The resulting file will contain all of your passwords in plain text. Once you've exported your passwords they are no longer protected by 1Password's security and encryption.

To import your passwords into another password manager, I would reach out to that password manager's support team for assistance if you're running into issues since they'll have the expertise to assist there. For Apple's password manager you can find their support team here: Official Apple Support

-Dave