Unable to create 2FA for Instagram Account

Options
RichoCorey
RichoCorey
Community Member

Hello

I have seen the previous thread here: https://1password.community/discussion/113551/cant-setup-2fa-on-instagram related to not being able to setup a 2FA using 1Password however this does not work for me.

I was able to successfully setup using Lastpass Authenticator App. I am able to successfully setup 2FA for Facebook using 1Password. I am trying to change these settings through Meta's new Accounts Centre.

I have tried both scanning the QR code and copy pasting the code into 1Password. 1Password creates a code but this is not being recognised by Instagram when trying to verify the code.

I haven't encountered this issue with any other site.

I am using MacOS 14.0 and 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047). My browser is Arc Version 1.9.2.

1Password Version: Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 14.0
Browser: Arc Version 1.9.2.

Comments

• Hello @RichoCorey! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to use 1Password as an authenticator app for Instagram. Are you scanning the QR code using the desktop app or the browser extension? If you were using the desktop app, then can you try these steps:

1. Open the desktop app.
    2. Find the item for Instagram and click Edit.
    3. Remove the non-working 2FA one-time password.
    4. Save the item.
    5. Open your browser and go to Instagram's 2FA setup page until you see the QR code to scan.
    6. Use the browser extension to scan the QR code: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Let me know if that doesn't work and I can investigate further. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• RichoCorey
    RichoCorey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, surprisingly this worked... The desktop app for whatever reason still would not work, but the extension worked first time just by scanning the QR code.

• I'm glad to hear Dave was able to help out.

• alongtimeuser
    alongtimeuser
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there,

I have the exact same problem.

I tried the solution described by Dave_1P but had no success. Even in a different password manager (Proton Pass) it will not work. It generates the OTP, but Instagram will not accept it in the next screen. At this point I'm starting to think it is an instagram issue, but I'd appreciate any help. The Facebook 2FA works perfectly.

I'm trying to configure here: https://accountscenter.instagram.com/password_and_security/two_factor/

MacOS 14.1.2 (23B92)
    1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036)
    Tried on Firefox, Safari and Chrome

(But also didn't work trying on iPhone)

• @alongtimeuser

I'm sorry that Instagram isn't accepting your saved one-time password. I just tried adding 1Password as an authenticator app to my Instagram account and everything worked properly. Could you try again using these steps in Chrome on your Mac:

1. On Instagram's website, remove 1Password as a "Connected device" on the Authentication app page.
    2. Open 1Password for Mac.
    3. Click your Login item item for Instagram and click Edit.
    4. Remove any one-time passwords that you see. Scroll down and make sure that there isn't a second one-time password, if there is then remove that as well. Then Save the item.
    5. Go back to Chrome and follow the steps on Instagram's website to add an authenticator app until you see the QR code.
    6. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    7. Make sure that your Login item for Instagram is selected, click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the item and then click Scan QR Code. Wait until you see "Copied one-time password" in the 1Password pop-up.
    8. Click Next on Instagram's website.
    9. When you're prompted for the one-time password, click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar. Make sure that Instagram is selected then click Autofill. This will fill the proper one-time password into Instagram. Don't try to paste the one-time password.

Click Next on Instagram's website to finish adding the authenticator app. Let me know if any of these steps don't work.

-Dave

• EnriqueCordero
    EnriqueCordero
    Community Member
    Options

I am facing the same problem. I have tried creating it via the chrome extension, via my iphone, with QR Code, with the Key Code... No way to get it working :(

• @EnriqueCordero

I'm sorry that you're running into the same issue. Can you confirm that you tried the steps in my previous comment, in order, using Chrome on your Mac: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/701200/#Comment_701200

What happens at step 7 when you click "Scan QR Code"? Can you tell me if a code is copied to your clipboard? Is a code added to your Login item for Instagram in 1Password?

-Dave

• EnriqueCordero
    EnriqueCordero
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

In the end I managed to enable it today. I activated it in instagram from the phone, generated there the code for the OTP and added the One Time Password on the Chrome extension in my mac. Then I validated the generated code in the phone and it worked. A little bit complex but at least I got it working.

Thanks anyway for the support

• I'm happy that you were able to get things working. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• LeVeL5
    LeVeL5
    Community Member
    edited February 2
    Options

I'm having this same problem now that I'm trying to set up 2FA with 1Password. I've tried to do it with my Mac by copying the code and the QR image, and with my phone by scanning the QR code, and it doesn't work: it generates a code that's rejected by Instagram's setup wizard. I'll try again tomorrow, but it shouldn't be this hard...

• @LeVeL5

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue. Can you please try the steps in this post.

Let me know if they don't work and I can help further.

-Dave

• bcg602
    bcg602
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

I tried the steps in your linked post but I'm still having issues. Help?

• @bcg602

I'm sorry that you're also running into issues. Can you tell me which specific step isn't working and what you see on your screen at that step?

-Dave

• ShaggyKris
    ShaggyKris
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I can chip in on this issue. Here's an exact breakdown of the steps:

• Navigate to https://accountscenter.instagram.com/password_and_security/
    • Click "Two-factor authentication"
    • Select profile

• Select "Authentication app"
    • See QR code and key.

• In 1Password, attempt to add key in various ways (all successfully generate a code)
      • Click "Scan QR code" in the Two-factor authentication banner
      • Edit -> Security -> OTP -> Click "Scan QR Code from clipboard or screen"
      • Edit -> Security -> OTP -> Paste key shown on screen

Each of the methods of adding the code will generate a code successfully, resulting in an otp string as follows (ignore the curly braces): otpauth://totp/Username:{username}?secret={secret}&issuer=Instagram. However, it's the next part that is the issue:

• Click "Next" on Instagram -> "Get your code from your authentication app"
    • Entering the generated OTP code either via autofill or copy/paste results in the following:

There is no way to proceed. Also there are no console logs to speak of, and checking the network requests shows that their GraphQL calls to their server are generating this error message, so something is off about either their OTP method or how 1Password is generating the codes for Meta OTP.

• Crayder
    Crayder
    Community Member
    Options

+1. My issue is exactly as @ShaggyKris explained. I've tried every possible method. It just never accepts the generated code.

Meanwhile things worked perfectly fine for Facebook, which was generated on the same exact page (literally, Facebook and Instagram are together under the Meta account manager page). Only Instagram is failing.

At first glance it seems obvious this issue is on the Instagram side... but I was just able to setup Instagram fine in the Google Authenticator app. This is the only reason I decided to chip in.

• hfoureman
    hfoureman
    Community Member
    Options

I am not on a mac, but I am having all of these same issues, so would definitely love to see if there are any additional tips and tricks. I was also trying to update from the new Account Center, which I am guessing might be part of the issue? I have had 2-factor set up on IG before and didn't have this issue.

• retcouch
    retcouch
    Community Member
    Options

Mostly a "me too" comment, but I can also confirm that I've tried just about every way I can think of to get the code into 1Password and verify on Instagram via https://accountscenter.instagram.com/password_and_security/two_factor/ and can't get it to work. I have tried all the potential solution steps on this page so far.

• lalukasik
    lalukasik
    Community Member
    Options

After many attempts, I was finally able to set this up. Based on what I read on the 2FA directory website, setting up 2FA on Instagram only works from the mobile app. In a well-lit room, I used 1Password on my tablet to capture the QR code displayed on my phone. It worked immediately. If you have 1Password installed on a laptop, I expect the laptop camera or connected webcam to also work.

• Dave_1P
    edited February 15
    Options

Hello everyone,

I've tested things again and I'm now also seeing the same behaviour as you are when trying to setup two-factor authentication using Instagram's website on the desktop. When scanning the QR code using 1Password, or entering the key manually, Instagram does not accept the one-time password but just displays an error message that says: This code isn't right. Please try again.

I scanned the same QR code using the Google Authenticator app and confirmed that it generates the same one-time password as 1Password and that the same error occurs when entering a one-time password from Google Authenticator. This confirms that the issue is with the Instagram website and not 1Password and that it occurs with any authenticator app.

I recommend reaching out to Instagram directly since they'll need to investigate this further in order to get this fixed from their end: Help Center

-Dave

• LeVeL5
    LeVeL5
    Community Member
    Options

I've reported this problem from the desktop web version of Instagram by clicking on the 3 lines menu (hamburger) and selecting the line item "Report a problem". I've also gone to the Help Center, located the how-to document for enabling 2FA, rated it "not helpful" and described the problem.

I hope it helps...

• @LeVeL5

Thank you for reporting the issue to Instagram. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• ILBKIKI
    ILBKIKI
    Community Member
    Options

The problem still exists.

• @ILBKIKI

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry that you're having trouble turning on two-factor authentication for Instagram. The issue appears to be with Instagram itself and I encourage you to report the problem to their team so that they can fix it on their end.

You can find more details here.

-Dave

• LeVeL5
    LeVeL5
    Community Member
    Options

I tried it myself today and could enable 2FA via Authenticator App with 1Password!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@LeVeL5

I'm happy that you were able to add 1Password as an authenticator to your Instagram account. πŸ™‚

-Dave